Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSolid album is the conclusion I’ve come to
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3004368&mesg_id=3006938
3006938, Solid album is the conclusion I’ve come to
Posted by DJR, Tue Jun-26-18 10:23 PM
Alright, I’ve been playing the album a lot since it dropped. Overall, I’m glad we got this. Would I put it in the top half of Nas’ catalog? No. So by Nas standards, it’s so so. By 2018 rap standards it’s great. I’m just happy we’re still getting quality rapping out of Nas at 44. 27 years since he first appeared on wax. Crazy.

Yes, his flow is pretty basic on most of these. But the bars are still sharp.

Not for Radio is one I’ve started skipping. It’s not bad but as others have said, he’s done the epic “Nas is back!” Intro much better on Stillmatic and Life Is Good. The rapping is fine, the beat is mediocre. Puffy seems unnecessary. He’s too corny at this point. At least his rants were legit funny on Hate Me Now. He’s not really bringing anything to the table here.

Cops...like many I hated the repetitive sample at first. I think part of it was me being subconsciously frustrated because I expected the next Slick Rick lines to follow...it’s a song I’ve probably heard 1000s of times. I’ve listened enough to where it doesn’t distract me any more. I love what Kanye did with it on the hook. The beat bangs. Both verses go. The content is needed. This one is a winner.

White label- I don’t care about this song at all. Nas sounds sleepy, his sex raps are gross as always, and while the vocal sample gets in my head a bit, the beat is mediocre overall.

Bonjour - Damn! Nas sounds noticeably livelier than on the last song. That sample and beat, Nas rapping about good food and shit.... I like this one.

Everything....too long. I don’t usually like singing Kanye but it works here. Great song. It could’ve been 5:30 instead of 7:00 though. My only complaint. You don’t need to make it extra long for it to be “epic”, Kanye. But Nas is spitting here, I like the vibe, message, and singing.

Adam and Eve....best song on the album. 5/5. 10/10. This is so classic. Nas sounds completely in his comfort zone here. Like, you can tell he’s going to absolutely destroy this right from the beginning. Damn, this is so good.

Simple Things....yes! Love Nas in this mode. That sample is heavenly. Beat is a little plain otherwise but that’s ok when Nas is rapping like this. But.....why does it end so suddenly?

5/7. Pretty good. So happy we got this! Really hope we get a longer album sooner than later though.

Nas still the GOAT.