Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectso Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a culture vulture?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3003602
3003602, so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a culture vulture?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Apr-04-18 10:34 PM
i dug maxwell 20 years back and still respect him however he ain't called a culture bandit like Bruno mars please explain
3003606, Only thing authentic about Bruno is his talent...
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Apr-05-18 12:17 AM
His artistry is as fraud as they come
3003649, well we know one thing neither one of them do
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Apr-05-18 07:03 PM
3003651, Maybe it's because Maxwell is actually half-(b)lack. Haitian to be
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Thu Apr-05-18 07:20 PM
exact. There's nothing Black about Bruno Mars.
3004063, Puerto Rican is NOT a race.
Posted by AlBundy, Fri Apr-13-18 11:00 AM
-------------------------
�Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.�-- Warren Coolidge
3004121, RE: so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a culture vulture?
Posted by spidey, Sun Apr-15-18 10:44 AM
Max is a shade darker...lol...this whole notion of who can do what is silly...either your talented or not...
3004147, RE: so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a culture vulture?
Posted by eldealo, Mon Apr-16-18 06:00 AM
>i dug maxwell 20 years back and still respect him however he
>ain't called a culture bandit like Bruno mars please explain

i don't lump bruno in with cultural appropriation, personally. perhaps he can do more, but i feel he has done a great job of paying respect to his predecessors. in fact, i've read multiple interviews in magazines which he states just how much respect he has for black artists and how much he has been influenced by it. i have no problem conceding to the idea that he is benefitting from having an ambiguous look. i just don't choose to lay the blame on him when i feel that there is a much larger culprit. when cats like teddy riley give him high praise, i've got no reason to single him out. i don't believe in limiting musicians as long as they give proper respect to those that did it first, and try to educate their audience. i think he is a very talented artist, that has potential to be a great one. he is not quite there yet, imo, but i feel like he is on his way.

regarding maxwell, i think he has been embraced by the black community because he is haitian in addition to puerto rican, and he has lived the black experience in the u.s. (at least in part). i've never had a problem with him embracing afro-latino roots.