Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWaxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3001827&mesg_id=3001827
3001827, Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)
Posted by BlakStaar, Fri Feb-23-18 02:49 PM
So, on January 16, Waxpoetics announced to its subscribers that it will "no longer be able to fulfill Wax Poetics Magazine subscriptions." After sixteen years in print, it will cease being a traditional newsstand publication.

The ‘zine went on to say its starting a new venture where it will “offer a version of Wax Poetics as a print-on-demand journal via Amazon/Ingram.”

Weeks later, on Valentine's Day, the ‘zine announced they are releasing another Prince edition, which is basically part two of Issue 50, which they wound up reprinting twice, I think.

This new Prince edition will be available in paperback for $24.95 and hardcover for $34.95. Readers can pre-order now and expect shipping to begin later this month.

Here’s the link: http://www.waxpoetics.com/wax-poetics-magazine/wax-poetics-issue-67/

I'm curious to know...

* How people are feeling about this change at Waxpoetics? Notably, founder Andre Torres left the company after 16 years for Genius a couple years ago. He has since left Genius and now works at Universal Music Enterprises as the VP of Urban Catalog, according to his LinkedIn profile. (Yes, I'm nosey).

* How they feel about the new Prince edition? Is it Prince overload, or nah? Apparently, the first run of Issue 50, which I own, contained factual errors that were corrected in later reprints, no? I vaguely recall DJ Brainchild noting some errors on Twitter when the issue came out in 2012.

* I still don’t understand exactly what Waxpoetics will be doing in the future as far as print content is concerned, but what kind of editions should editors produce?

I don’t ever recall a Chicago House edition or a Stevie Wonder edition. I do remember the Detroit techno joint and other genres being covered, like Latin and Brazilian music.

I’d like to see an UK Soul edition and an edition covering mainstream and obscure 80s R&B, like the joints that were sampled on Onra’s Long Distance (side bar: those Long Distance samples were blocked on WhoSampled last time I checked. LOL) Maybe features on Kashif, Change, S.O.S Band and the like.

Maybe a New Jack Swing issue?

What y'all think?