Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNot as often as I used to
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3001500&mesg_id=3001553
3001553, Not as often as I used to
Posted by shutupneff, Wed Feb-14-18 03:25 AM
I first really got into hip hop around 2005, and I made it a point to work my way back through the canon (lurking here helped shape my choices), but a few years back I stared to really grow tired of the casual misogyny and virulent homophobia of the golden era (I honestly don't know I love BDP's catalog as much as I hate it). Obviously not every old school artist was guilty of this, but enough were that I started to avoid listening to new (to me) stuff.

I think the last classic album I listened to for the first time was Chubb Rock's And the Winner Is... about 6 months ago, and before that was probably a couple of MC Lyte's mid-career albums.

Tangent: B4.da.$$ is one of my favorite hip hop albums of this last decade because it was like listening to an old classic, except I wasn't worrying about when the rape threats would show up or the wrong kind of F-bombs would start dropping (at least until Action Bronson accidentally admitted to statutory rape at the end, but that was a bonus track, and fuck Action Bronson anyway).