Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectdisco rap
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3001500&mesg_id=3001512
3001512, disco rap
Posted by mista k5, Tue Feb-13-18 10:33 AM
i listened to as much stuff from 79 to 83 that i could.

this was a lot of singles but also albums from kurtis blow, grandmaster flash and the furious 5, sugar hill gang, and all of the whodini albums.

i had heard a lot of the big songs before but never the whole albums. it was interesting to hear the slow r&b cuts on some of these albums. over all i was happy to hear most of these. definitely increased the songs in my rotation.

i loved hearing beats and lines that have been used in newer music. some of them i figured were shout outs to older songs but some i thought were original in the new songs.

its crazy how long some of the songs were and it was just straight rapping. i kind of thought what would this style sound like now but then i remember jurassic 5. i always liked them and i like these old tracks too.

i think i dont hear old stuff and see it as dated, maybe a new song with an overplayed style might sound dated. i hear the music with some context of what was happening at the time it was released but mostly just appreciate it for what it is.

the breakin' ost was straight up wack to me but wild style was still dope. you could just feel the energy on it.