Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGood question.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3001500&mesg_id=3001508
3001508, Good question.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Feb-13-18 01:55 AM
The last 'old' album I heard semi-recently was KRS's Sex & Violence. I half-remembered the singles, Duck Down and 13 and Good. Duck Down still goes, but for the most part the album was disappointing and dated. Granted that album was from '92, so the fact that the album's sound doesn't match contemporary standards isn't surprising.

But as far as listening to old albums for the first time in a while, I listened to some of ATLiens and MAN is that still a great album.

I didn't get into that album when it came out. I dug Elevators but my ears were just too young to really appreciate the groundbreaking nature of that album.

But if that album came out today, it would still be a classic, maybe more so. Whether it's the lush soundscapes or the clever use of sampling or the diversity of flows on the album, it's immensely creative and original. I haven't heard Stankonia or TLB/SB lately, but I think ATLiens might hold up the best out of all of their albums.