Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject2018 Asian Music Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3000316&mesg_id=3000316
3000316, 2018 Asian Music Post
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Mon Jan-15-18 03:17 PM
What were your favorite releases from 2017?

My favorite LPs and EPs were (in no particular order):
Suiyoubi no Campanella - SUPERMAN
Suzuki Mamiko - Deep Green EP
tricot - 3
Izumi Macra - Yuki to Suna
Mondo Gross - Nandodemo Atarashiku Umareru
POLKADOT STINGRAY - Daisegi
heaven in her arms - White Halo
Seiko Oomori - kitixxxgaia
gesu no kiwami otome - Daruma Ringo

Although my favorite LPs and EPs were mostly Japanese, K-Pop singles dominated most of my actual listening time in 2017. I easily listened to TWICE's "LIKEY," "LOOK AT ME," and "HEART SHAKER" more than 100+ times each. I also loved the singles and b-sides from Red Velvet, Cosmic Girls (WSJN), GFRIEND, DREAMCATCHER, and the girls of LOOΠΔ. Some Korean hip-hop-inspired stuff was just as additive like offonoff's "Gold" and San-E's "Mohae." Morever, we saw collaborations between artists like Dean and Syd (previous Odd Future and The Internet member), and Jay Park was on my favorite song from Charlie XCX's Pop 2 ("Unlock It"). I stopped paying attention to music videos some time in the 00's even for my favorite artists, but K-Pop is the one genre where I actually watch (and rewatch) videos. They're just really fun and neat, and they are usually the best way to get a first listen on the latest releases.

I'm pretty sure my listening habits this year will be pretty similar, and I'm guessing that I'll post at around the same rate as I did last year, although the skew towards K-Pop might continue become more prevalent. Anyways, here's to hoping for another great year of music.