Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: So No Black Man wants that Michael Jackson Crown like Bruno Mars?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3000043&mesg_id=3000312
3000312, RE: So No Black Man wants that Michael Jackson Crown like Bruno Mars?
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Jan-15-18 01:49 PM
>never been a huge MJ fan but you can't pretend that someone
>can just wear that crown cause they want it.. that ish is like
>the sword in the stone.. you gotta be the ONE in order to be
>able to draw it out and claim the throne...
>
>ain't nobody on that level right now imo....

There's folks who make jams. Lots of jams.

BUT

Everything is too segmented now. And if anyone starts getting liked 'too much', hating mofos will stand on top of tall objects and scream out negative shit about that act to try to drum up some kind of lack of love movement. And the innanet has been and continues to be a hotbed of that type of energy. If something starts gaining steam, someone will show up and try to hate it out. Half of us is trying to make it. The other half is trying to take it. Add in the general public's bloodlust for scandal and nullifying people's whole existence, and it's hard af to get and stay huge. One old soundbyte or video can end your whole shit if it is framed a certain way.

Also, you have to get popular off of the music + some kind of mystique. Aka you can't have a reality show where folks think they know you personally. That kills your mystique even if it gives you an 'in' to have folks listen to your shit. Cardi B for instance.

Bruno is about as close as it gets to undeniably solid and talented nowadays and shiiiid, old heads try to fuck that up all the time! Meanwhile, JT is finna do the super bowl again. Beebs had too much scandal going on. Chris Brown...well, you know. He SHOULD be THE one if you ask me, but..well, you know. Also, if he could have just kept TY$ in a cave, that would have helped too. Now, he's cussing in the middle of songs that don't need cussing and still dancing his ass off..seemingly for nothing. Maybe I'm wrong and dude is still huge.

Side: can someone explain Usher to me? Is Confessions the last HUGE R&B album? Is he now just on light duty..doing victory laps? A bunch of folks sound like him.