Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each region
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2999973&mesg_id=3000062
3000062, I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each region
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Jan-09-18 02:23 AM
Just favors certain styles of music more, and it shows in what's made.

Like even Organized Noise, who rarely sampled, just had a sound that reminiscent of what Georgia folks grew up hearing...that Soul with a touch of Funk.

But for L.A., yea, they basically sampled and interpolated the music that was biggest here. NY liked Funk to an extent, but we loved it way more, hence why a NY Funk song like "Funkin for Jamaica" got sampled way more times by L.A. artists. Same with Parliament, who I figure would claim Jersey. The Midwest/Ohio was the home of Funk, so you see the Midwest artists using a similar sound to what the West had, such as Dayton Family and MC Breed.

The Bay used to sample more 80's music than 70's or early 80's Funk like L.A., so I wonder if they were just deeper into that sound...the Loose Ends, Club Nouveau type sound.

NY was always heavy into Soul and Disco, so it shows why so much of their music came from that sound in comparison to the West.