Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis would be amazing. I think sampling has changed so much since
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2999973&mesg_id=3000026
3000026, This would be amazing. I think sampling has changed so much since
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Jan-08-18 12:29 PM
the beginning, that we've forgotten how many short lived sampling trends there were.

The hugest shift had to happen somewhere around 1990, or 91, and I've heard that's when the sampling laws changed. You didn't hear as many James Brown samples, or vocal samples overall, and you didn't hear the layered style of sampling as much with 6-8 samples on one song...you would start hearing 2-3 instead, and sometimes only one sample.

The 92-93 era...when Jazz and Jazzy-Soul was sampled the most in the mainstream. "Mass appeal," "Rebirth of slick," "U-N-I-T-Y," "Cantaloop," "Electric relaxation," and several others.

In the late 90's, remember when all those symphonic type songs were sampled? "Simon says" would be the biggest example, but also "The Next episode" and tracks like "Money, power respect" had strings that were dominant.

Same period of time, "Hard knock life" had a few other artists sampling old Broadway shows, usually with Annie-type voices? That also meant "Get out" from Busta, and Jay even tried again with "Anything."

97, when it was the Bad Boy Jiggy era, and they just took full 80's tracks that hadn't really been used, and didn't really add much to them. Even beyond the full 97-98 Bad Boy catalog, Jay "I love the dough," Rampage "Take it to the streets," and several others used this formula. Production wise, that was the laziest time, but it still made for great party music.

I gotta revisit some music and I can add even more to this.