Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectquantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2999973
2999973, quantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Jan-06-18 12:49 PM
Ok, random question but I figured someone hanging out here might know: are there any studies or projects out there that have attempted to quantify and analyze the types of samples used in hip hop, and how sampling trends have changed over time?

I am thinking particularly in terms of genre. In other words, any sort of research that has considered, for instance, dominant genres represented via sampling in any given moment of hip hop history? Example: at such and such a time, genres A and B were the most common sample sources, but during this next period, Genre C became a notable influence. But I'll take any sort of quantified sample analysis you've got.

Again, random question - but thanks in advance.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
2999988, probably not but it'd make a great grad project
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jan-07-18 06:19 PM
I imagine who sampled it could provide most of the data. I'd actually just love a book on sample sources on a timeline.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2999990, but genre wise, the most sampled sources have always been...
Posted by PROMO, Sun Jan-07-18 07:05 PM
funk, soul/r&B and disco.

so, a study like that wouldn't be too interesting i guess.
3000055, rock & jazz belong on that list
Posted by howardlloyd, Mon Jan-08-18 07:12 PM
way before disco

n/m
3000026, This would be amazing. I think sampling has changed so much since
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Jan-08-18 12:29 PM
the beginning, that we've forgotten how many short lived sampling trends there were.

The hugest shift had to happen somewhere around 1990, or 91, and I've heard that's when the sampling laws changed. You didn't hear as many James Brown samples, or vocal samples overall, and you didn't hear the layered style of sampling as much with 6-8 samples on one song...you would start hearing 2-3 instead, and sometimes only one sample.

The 92-93 era...when Jazz and Jazzy-Soul was sampled the most in the mainstream. "Mass appeal," "Rebirth of slick," "U-N-I-T-Y," "Cantaloop," "Electric relaxation," and several others.

In the late 90's, remember when all those symphonic type songs were sampled? "Simon says" would be the biggest example, but also "The Next episode" and tracks like "Money, power respect" had strings that were dominant.

Same period of time, "Hard knock life" had a few other artists sampling old Broadway shows, usually with Annie-type voices? That also meant "Get out" from Busta, and Jay even tried again with "Anything."

97, when it was the Bad Boy Jiggy era, and they just took full 80's tracks that hadn't really been used, and didn't really add much to them. Even beyond the full 97-98 Bad Boy catalog, Jay "I love the dough," Rampage "Take it to the streets," and several others used this formula. Production wise, that was the laziest time, but it still made for great party music.

I gotta revisit some music and I can add even more to this.
3000029, 92-96 that secret squirrel super extra obscure $ 500 records era
Posted by j., Mon Jan-08-18 12:35 PM
I forget which magazine but I remember Kool Keith ranting on some
"only 10 dudes care about who such and such played the drums on the 1972 RAMP studio outtake going for $ 400 at the Roosevelt, FOH girls just wanna dance"

Never mind the absurdity of Keith advocating for club records, he had a point
3000044, at one point i wanted to write a thesis on sampling and region
Posted by bearfield, Mon Jan-08-18 04:38 PM
to try to contextualize why NYC didn't sound like LA, which didn't sound like houston, etc., in the 90s. my theory (and this is not a wild notion) was that different records (as in vinyl) didn't get evenly distributed in the 60s and 70s. there were more jazz records in NYC, and more frankie beverly & maze albums in houston. it's a theory that is probably flimsy as heck and may be impossible to research (where would one even begin to look for sales of LPs by region from 66-74?) but it still bounces around in the back of my mind
3000062, I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each region
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Jan-09-18 02:23 AM
Just favors certain styles of music more, and it shows in what's made.

Like even Organized Noise, who rarely sampled, just had a sound that reminiscent of what Georgia folks grew up hearing...that Soul with a touch of Funk.

But for L.A., yea, they basically sampled and interpolated the music that was biggest here. NY liked Funk to an extent, but we loved it way more, hence why a NY Funk song like "Funkin for Jamaica" got sampled way more times by L.A. artists. Same with Parliament, who I figure would claim Jersey. The Midwest/Ohio was the home of Funk, so you see the Midwest artists using a similar sound to what the West had, such as Dayton Family and MC Breed.

The Bay used to sample more 80's music than 70's or early 80's Funk like L.A., so I wonder if they were just deeper into that sound...the Loose Ends, Club Nouveau type sound.

NY was always heavy into Soul and Disco, so it shows why so much of their music came from that sound in comparison to the West.
3000107, RE: I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each region
Posted by howardlloyd, Tue Jan-09-18 06:20 PM
>Like even Organized Noise, who rarely sampled, just had a
>sound that reminiscent of what Georgia folks grew up
>hearing...that Soul with a touch of Funk.

man 90% of the 1st 3 albums were samples

cats be sleeping on ON
3000049, The NYC sound:
Posted by third_i_vision, Mon Jan-08-18 05:54 PM
Late 80's - 1990: James Brown and Friends, Ultimate Breaks & Beats

1991 - 1996: 1995 Wall of Fame records (http://www.forumusic.co.uk/wof_95.html), jazz from all eras

1997 - 1999: Korg Triton

2000 - 2004: soul

2005 - current day: whatever sound is coming out of Atlanta
3000080, RE: quantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history
Posted by double 0, Tue Jan-09-18 11:54 AM
Would be dope to do...

You could probably use the whosampled database for a starting point...

Run a nice little program..

It would ened up being more revealing than you think imo... especially the 90s pre sample clearance laws... so many stabs, vocals and one hits from non soul/funk records
3000081, I was just thinking about embarking on a creative project this yr
Posted by MeshaMeesh, Tue Jan-09-18 12:04 PM
This might be it. It would be a great way for me to fall back in love with music and “digital digging”. It probably won’t be as extensive as I’d want, but it could serve as a solid intro project.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,
I don't have time to be a wife"

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul
https://instagram.com/soul.con.fusion/

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."