Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: While I somewhat agree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2998148&mesg_id=3001415
3001415, RE: While I somewhat agree
Posted by beatnik, Fri Feb-09-18 10:58 PM
idk know man, I know 'Deck is kind of underrated outside his "Triumph" credit but if 3k had dropped a dope solo after SP/TLB, and before Big Boi or even before Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors

he arguably gets more hype than Inspectah Deck, is always in top 5 convos, eccentric enough to outshine Big Boi in some eyes, and aside from Deck's aforementioned "Triumph" verse dude is easily in the "most hip-hop quotables" top 5, dude has memorable lines from every album on some Shakespeare shit where some lines worked their way into everyday conversation for a long period of time

plus the hype of all his guest verses and coming off how big that double album was, a dope solo would have been a slam dunk, it's why we get these melancholy interviews about what could have been

not to be a douche but how many interviews we getting with people bugging Deck for a solo?

I think on some super hip-hop head shit Deck has a case, but between Thought and Andre I can't think of any two other artists from groups who have had more demand for solo albums and though BT's role has slightly been reduced on subsequent Roots albums, he has more albums with The Roots than 3k has with Kast, and from Stankonia to TLB 3k had less rapped verses,

we got our Thought fix, for him a solo is icing on the cake but for Andre it's like the layer that's missing