Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNicolay “The Secret”
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2996850
2996850, Nicolay “The Secret”
Posted by Mello, Thu Oct-19-17 05:08 PM
I may be alone in this thought but from a pure production standpoint this is one of Nicolay’s best. If I’m counting right there are seven different sections/movements in this song. The second to last is one of my favorite chord progressions from him. And then to add insult to injury he includes the uptempo interlude that I would kill to hear the full version of.

It was cool to hear his interview on the Entry Points podcast, specifically how Phonte assists with the creation of the City Lights albums by editing and making sure the songs don’t go on too long. You can tell by the fade out in the sixth section of The Secret that it probably went on much longer, which I would not have been mad at.

I know some view the City Lights records as sort of background music but if you really pay attention there is some genius work happening within these tracks.
2996851, I would have liked it better if it wasn't on that album
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Oct-19-17 07:01 PM
that Soweto album was hit and miss, but this and Daydream were really good tunes. I wished the album was more varied soundwise than it was.
2996855, I felt the same way...
Posted by Mello, Thu Oct-19-17 09:21 PM
It took me multiple listens to get into it and one day it hit me how it all weaves together. So from that standpoint I dig the uniformity of it. There are a couple of tracks that depending on the day I skip but for the most part I let it ride all the way through.