Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectCome on now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2994533&mesg_id=2994615
2994615, Come on now
Posted by handle, Mon Aug-21-17 01:46 PM
I have no idea about any of what happened but here's what I do know:

1)There's no way that anyone with The Roots will speak on it - it's a poor legal strategy.

2)The article I read states:
“Walker is seeking monetary damages arising from defendants’ use of his likeness, and an injunction prohibiting defendants from using his likeness in order to protect his own legacy,” according to a filing from the law firm of Mark David Shirian P.C. The suit also alleges that Walker was paid “unfair compensation” for use of his likeness. It also claims that his “legacy” could be damaged by the Roots performing without making known that Walker is no longer in the band.

This is very likely that venues are suing "older" press materials with his photo on them. If he wins this I suspect Owen is owed cash too- and even Scratch.

Sounds to me - who knows nothing about it - like its the only thing he could possibly sue for.

But I doubt being associated with The Roots a few months after you leave will hurt your legacy - it likely gives a leg up.

And new bands probably don't like the airing of business in public like this.

P.S.:
I don't think we ever heard anything about the Hub lawsuit either.