Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectJohn Lennon ('71 - '80)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2994189&mesg_id=2994475
2994475, John Lennon ('71 - '80)
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Aug-16-17 10:03 AM
His first two solo albums were widely heralded, (mostly) deservedly so, but his solo output falls off a cliff after that.

Sometime in New York City ('72) was a commercially and critically unsuccessful attempt to make "edgy" protest music. Problem was the songs weren't any good. ("Woman is the N-gger of the World," anyone?)

It's obvious that he wanted to bounce back and move units on Mind Games ('73) because it's a complete about-face from SINYC. Commercial songs, slick production, less politics. Again, problem was the songs weren't any good. (I'm being a little more facetious this time. There are some good songs on here, but like most of his solo output, it suffers from unimaginative arrangements and pervasive blandness. Overall it's a mediocre and uneven album.)

Walls and Bridges ('74) is almost unlistenable to me. So bland.

Rock and Roll ('75) is a bunch of 50's rock and roll covers. Some people like it.

Double Fantasy ('80) was seen as a comeback of sorts, featuring undeniably his best songs in nearly 10 years. I still think it leaves something to be desired, but at least it's worthy of having his name attached to it. Wish he actually got back with McCartney for this album like he was planning on doing for his next one. They both still had great music in them, and it could've been a truly great record.