Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecteven though I only saw a brief clip of Esperanza working something out
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2993805&mesg_id=2995573
2995573, even though I only saw a brief clip of Esperanza working something out
Posted by c71, Sat Sep-16-17 11:19 AM
the only artists/musicians who would do something similar (PJ Harvey did a thing about allowing an audience to watch her record an album, but I don't think that PJ Harvey album was created without previous planning, like Esperanza said her project was) are artists/musicians who value doing something "in the now" as opposed to "planning"/"crafting"/"preparing".

The clip I saw had Esperanza working with lyrics so she didn't seem to go the "free-jazz" route I thought she would go, so most musicians/songwriters who deal with lyrics want to prepare because those musicians/songwriters don't usually value anything they come up with in a very brief period of time - like this project.

It's nice to have an artist/songwriter who isn't afraid of coming up with something "forced" or "embarrassing" in a short period of time, but....that seems like something for an artist/songwriter who just has a "thing" for "irreverent" wordplay.

Musicians who just deal with instrumental music don't mind just coming up with music on the spot without much preparation - that's what free jazz was all about (and maybe still is about).