Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOff first listen last night I'm crazy disappointed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2993144&mesg_id=2994690
2994690, Off first listen last night I'm crazy disappointed
Posted by Ishwip, Fri Aug-25-17 11:37 AM
Leading up to the release yesterday I noticed with the singles they were trickling out the beats were missing Apollo's typically big, heavy drums. And sure enough, whole album is pretty much no snares, no big kicks.

The soul is there, the static, the grime, PA flowin', but the whole album to me off first listen was like a giant beat cock tease. Each track would start, beautiful soul samples cracklin', I'm expecting the drums to drop, then nope....almost like rapping over dope Pete Rock interlude "treats" for an entire album which I admit I've thought in the past would be nice, but over 15 tracks maybe not so much haha.

When the album finished I immediately put on last year's Skyzoo collabo as a musical palette cleanser. That album or his collabos with O.C., Guilty Simpson, Ras Kass, etc. was what I was hoping for with Planet Asia: big, boom bap drums, soul chops, screw your face up, nod hard beats with PA spittin' like he's better than everyone.

I appreciate not wanting to be boxed in to a certain sound and I'm not saying this album sucks. It's good, just not as DOMINANTLY great as I was sure it was going to be when they first announced the album was on the way.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)