Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthis really hurts. RIP,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2991937&mesg_id=2991962
2991962, this really hurts. RIP,
Posted by FunkyBoss, Tue Jun-20-17 02:12 PM
I'll be honest that the recent passing of legendary musicians hasn't affected me as much as it has others, I loved them all but they didn't hit that perfect combination to me personally like he did of having made great music, having made great music at an age that I was able to really immerse myself in it, having been at their apex when I was at an age to appreciate it, being able to see their direct influence on other artists and the music, giving regional pride at a silly, unfortunate time when it felt necessary, being close enough in age to them where the music and lyrics provided a somewhat cathartic and vicarious experience and not just fantasy.

He wasn't my favorite MC, Mobb Deep wasn't my favorite group, I'm from New York City but not Queens, but he's from that era where I just felt so much, if not everything was straight heat and Mobb Deep was at the forefront of it all to me

I hate to sound selfish but it hurts to lose that emotional part and time of your life. My first reaction to this wasn't to play his music but to text my own brother and tell him I love him.