Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis is Grown Man Rap...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2991311&mesg_id=2993468
2993468, This is Grown Man Rap...
Posted by Sleepy, Mon Jul-17-17 11:36 AM
While the youngins can have rap, this grown man with families and children rap is so refreshing.

4:44 is probably my favorite song right now. I just stumbled upon the sample today. Dammit Dion...he did his thing. And naming the song after the time it was written. For a dude to get up at that time to write something shows there's some serious things to get off his chest.

But this b/w Nas' "Life is Good" is so...I don't know...refreshing. Honestly flawed rappers taking off the bravado and being vulnerable. It really speaks to me because it's so different than what was before. And maybe it's timing. Seeing life as a middle aged man shifts your perspective. These aren't the same guys from their debut albums. Finding these cats that have been build up as superhuman have the same problems as the reset of us, and have the ability to turn their pains, problems, and issues into great art is what makes me appreciate their gift.

But the funny thing about both of the albums is that they aren't dark albums. I like this joint and I really don't fool too much with Jay.