Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThanks for posting this.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2989767&mesg_id=2991148
2991148, Thanks for posting this.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Jun-01-17 08:58 PM
Thom's mental health has always concerned me. Like a lot of brilliant people, he's attuned to aspects of life that most people look past or are unable to articulate their unique takes on the world. But it came at a high cost to him personally and I wish there was a way to extract their great music without making Thom 'catatonic' in the process.

I had no idea about Thom's ex. That must have been heartbreaking to even have to think about work when a source of love for him was slowly being taken from him. But AMSP is their most gorgeous record and it seems like the work was a form of catharsis.

What's good for Thom is alright with me. I tend to get personally connected with the groups I like and Radiohead, aside from being the first Rock group that I loved, seemed like really intelligent, gifted people. I felt I was walking their journey to stardom alongside them.

So it was difficult to hear the rumors of the band nearly splitting after the Kid A days and Thom's descent into depression. It was like hearing of a good friend experience a difficult time in their life. You just life to ease up off of them. Thankfully, it did and Thom and the band has given us a number of other great albums since.