Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecta few handful of quick ones
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2987950&mesg_id=2992794
2992794, a few handful of quick ones
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Jul-03-17 09:12 PM
Doing a quick skim of my playlists for the year so far, and these dominate:

Bonobo - Migration --- criminally overlooked so far... not sure why.

Sam Amidon - The Following Mountain --- probably his best release since I See the Sign, quite possibly as good. Not willing to say better than, as they are very different albums. But his development over his career has been really fascinating to watch, and the results here are splendid.

Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness

Rose Elinor Dougall - Stellular

Gabriel Garzon-Montano - Jardin --- I played the shit out of this early in the year.

Gillian Welch - Boots no. 1 --- also largely overlooked, a re-creation of Welch's seminal album with outtakes, live takes, and some unreleased tunes. I wish more artists would approach obligatory anniversaries in this vein, rather than simply remastering (although that's always nice) and adding a few extras to justify a purchase or listen.

Valerie June - Order of Time

Oddisee - The Iceberg --- I'm still waiting for that total album from him, but I can't complain: every release from him gets played to no end, and this one was no exception.

Rhiannon Giddens - Freedom Highway --- I won't say this is the album I want from her, but it's damn good and it's a bit less obviously MOR than her previous solo outings (which were still good). She shows herself as a top-notch writer, too.

Kelly Lee Owens - st

Ibibio Sound Machine - Uyai

Kendrick - DAMN

Feist - Pleasure

Sufjan - Carrie and Lowell Live (this was a surprise --- I never really got into C&L that deep, but I've really enjoyed this record a lot)

Lots of stuff I haven't checked yet, and a number that I'm not quite ready to call favorites but have gotten steady play from me for sure...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~