Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew Valerie June
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2983449
2983449, New Valerie June
Posted by imcvspl, Sat Feb-04-17 09:17 AM
http://valeriejune.com/the-order-of-time

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2983471, 'Astral Plane' is luuuurrvvveely!
Posted by Af-1, Sun Feb-05-17 05:46 AM
https://soundcloud.com/concordmusicgroup/valerie-june-astral-plane
2983477, Love Valerie, gonna give this a spin.
Posted by MaxPtah, Sun Feb-05-17 10:59 AM
Ran into her last Summer in Nashville at one of the malls. Still down to earth and one of the best artist around right now. Was surprised she remembered who I was from her time getting started lol.
2983538, She sings so nasally, she could be Australian.
Posted by shockzilla, Mon Feb-06-17 07:00 AM
2983573, I tell you I did a 45" interview with her?
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Feb-06-17 01:35 PM
it was pretty cool, set up through Sing Out and a PR firm that was working on a product she was using. So I had to talk to her about that for a bit but mostly it was just talking music. She was as cool as expected.

Anyhow - the product's mfr dumped the PR firm that set it up right after the interview so I never got the transcript they'd promised and as a result it never got published :-(

Listened to the new tune, dreamy
2985456, up
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Mar-10-17 11:07 AM
Not sure if it was delayed or just a slow roll-out to streaming services, but I'm finally able to listen to this on Apple Music. Giving it my first go now --- I don't think this will be for everyone but I have a feeling it's going to get *a lot* of play in my house...

"The Front Door" is... um... crushing...

Production on this is standing out to me already, too.

Anyone listened yet?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
2985801, Early album of the year contender
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Mar-16-17 07:27 AM
Can't stop listening to it

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

2985467, Love the album (and her)
Posted by soulsike, Fri Mar-10-17 06:20 PM
I've been spinning the NPR First Listen all week, but finally got the hard copy this morning.

Her music is a warm blanket, and I can't get enough of it.

There is that part of me that would love to hear an album as "energetic" as the final track on the album (horn-driven, etc), but the generally melancholy, slow-burner feel is really her wheelhouse (think mid 90s Craig Street style production, then add banjo)
2985482, new rhiannon giddens and hurray for the riff raff too
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Mar-11-17 10:59 AM
Rolling Stone has an article labeling them (w/Valerie June) as activist/folk or something or other --- I have a feeling we'll see a resurgence of "folk" in lieu of "Americana" or "roots" in the Trump Era...

Regardless of clickbait descriptions, the records do work really well together...

-thebigfunk

2985541, Is that a new new Giddens ?
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Mar-13-17 07:59 AM
I'll be back to talk Valerie, but yeah she killed this one.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

2985552, totally new
Posted by thebigfunk, Mon Mar-13-17 10:54 AM
although it might have been released a few weeks ago.

A cool conceptual project, too:

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/freedom-highway

I've only listened once and not very closely but I liked it a lot more than "Tomorrow is my turn," which had some great material but felt a little rigid. And this is almost all original material, so it's cool to hear more of her songwriting voice come through.

-thebigfunk

2985562, add Kaia Kater to the list
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Mar-13-17 02:28 PM
>Rolling Stone has an article labeling them (w/Valerie June)
>as activist/folk or something or other ---

that's a dumb label

but kaia's last album was very fine as well
check out the studio version of Little Pink when you get a chance.

There's somebody else I posted on here about a while back, can't remember her name though. Think she's also from Memphis.

>I have a feeling
>we'll see a resurgence of "folk" in lieu of "Americana" or
>"roots" in the Trump Era...

ehh, I dunno... don't really care either, I think. I'm fine with big-picture descriptors... the subcategories are for us nerd types.

Regardless I'm excited that the mini-boom in Black folk and roots rock seems to be getting along just fine, not a flash in the pan and more good new musicians coming out every year or two.
2985632, Southern Avenue is also quite good
Posted by soulsike, Tue Mar-14-17 09:08 AM
They're on Stax, not exactly as folky as the others mentioned in this post, rootsy with horns, but I've been playing their album nearly as much as Valerie and Rhiannon...

Checking out Kaia now.
2985555, Saw her Friday Night in Philly at the Troc
Posted by , Mon Mar-13-17 12:06 PM
She was lovely. Full of life and soul, great music, concert went by way too quick. Always a good sign of an artist.

That said, some Dylan lookin cat opened for her, bluegrass singer/songwriter type. I was like, word, this cat must be from Tennessee as well.... had that look and feel and sound. Then he announced he was from Brooklyn. ..... eh. His music wasn't as good after he admitted that. I know, fucked up to discriminate... I'm just just over the over-abundance of brooklyn artists. This cat literally started talking about how much more expensive it is to live in brooklyn than philly. FOH with that shit.
werd.
2986661, Really like this album.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Mar-27-17 07:27 PM
2986766, i still can't believe she's on
Posted by hardware, Wed Mar-29-17 07:10 AM
she's come a long way from the free shows in the cafes around here.