Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectJ Cole, pre-Tetsuo & Youth Lupe, Childish Gambino, sorta Kendrick
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2983098&mesg_id=2983131
2983131, J Cole, pre-Tetsuo & Youth Lupe, Childish Gambino, sorta Kendrick
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Feb-01-17 01:56 PM
1. J Cole. I did like the Forest Hills 2014 album, but everything before or after is just boring to me.

2. pre-Tetsuo Lupe. Tetsuo & Youth was legit one of the best three albums of 2015. But before that he was very much in the camp of rappers that I felt I should like a lot more than I did. Food & Liquor was decent. The Cool had its moments, but really never stuck with me. But everything after that and before Tetsuo was pretty forgettable. Tetsuo earned him a lot of goodwill tho.

3. Childish Gambino. Never felt like I **should** like his early straight hip-hop albums, but man, a lot of people that I respect are fawning over the "Awaken My Love" album, and I'm really "meh" on it. Yeah, I get he's inspired by Funkadelic and Bootsy and all those other groups I like, but the execution is lacking. It's a shame, because Glover is a brilliant comedic mind and "Atlanta" is a revelation of a TV series, but his music leaves me completely cold.

4. Sorta Kendrick. I just don't feel TPAB or GKMC are absolutely brilliant as everyone else. To hear folks tell it, he's already the best rapper of all time and his albums belong in the Smithsonian. For, they're cool enough, but I still hate the funny voices and the screaming.

5. Earl Sweatshirt's "I Don't Like Shit..." album. Loved the "Earl" debut album. Loved "Doris." "I Don't Shit..." was a downer that I've barely revisted since the first initial listen.