Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectnew Ambrose Akinmusire!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2982438&mesg_id=2992598
2992598, new Ambrose Akinmusire!
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Jul-01-17 10:24 AM
My listening has been really wonky lately due to some random stuff I'm dealing with, but was thrilled to take some time to catch up on new releases this morning and find a new album from Ambrose Akinmusire --- a live one at that. It's called "A Rift in Decorum: Live at the Village Vanguard"

About to put it on now...

A few others I haven't checked out yet but are on my list:

- DeJohnette has a new project with Larry Grenadier and Medeski and Scofield called "Hudson" --- really interesting trackiist on this one with a number of tunes drawn from 60s/70s rock-ish (Dylan, Hendrix, Joni, The Band).

- There's a crazy looking project called "The Passion of Charlie Parker" that looks a tribute with a stunning recurring ensemble of Craig Taborn, Donnie McCaslin, Ben Monder, Scott Colley, and Eric Harland. Guests (vocalists) include Gregory Porter, Madeleine Peyroux, Kurt Elling, Melody Gardot, and others. So yeah, this could be legit.

- Collab album from Avi Avital and Omer Avital (unsurprisingly called "Avital meets Avital") is out on Deutsche Grammophone --- I like Omer Avital a lot, so this will definitely be on the playlist...

But yeah, new Ambrose Akinmusire!!!

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~