Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectvery disappointing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2982438&mesg_id=2983518
2983518, very disappointing
Posted by Kosa12, Sun Feb-05-17 09:17 PM
I have seen the WCGD live (Kamasi's tour the year of the epic) so I knew this was going to be a soul album. Miles performed two songs off of this then and they sounded good enough live, but I think I might be being generous when I say this album is decent. He has a voice that suits this type of music and is a great bassist - love the moments here when his bass takes center stage, the effects he uses on it are dope, but this doesn't happen often enough in the record IMO (I mean, it's clearly one of his strengths, why not use it?). The songwriting (in reference to lyrics AND song structure) generally shifts between generic, corny and at times flat out mediocre. I guess "More Than This" is my favorite track - really like the instrumental switch up mid song on that tune, but again...the songwriting. "Fire" and "Sky High" stuck out to me as particularly bad. He is a great musician though, so I'll still check for whatever he does next I guess