Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I agree with your reasons here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2972192&mesg_id=2972325
2972325, RE: I agree with your reasons here
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Sep-02-16 11:15 AM
Two things I hate that as soon as I "feel" it, I just can't rock with it are; 1 being extra and 2 shock value. Those things can go hand in hand. And my disdain for these two things isn't limited to music.

For starters, I'm not a fan of spoken word. It has always come off as a cliched art form in terms of delivery. I love poetry but spoken word is just over the time for me and fits my definition of 'extra'.

Second, I just don't think she's a very good writer. The pieces come off as "let's see how many times I can mention the words dick and pussy here" and it comes off as shock value and very elementary and immature despite the subject matter. I feel the poor self-editing hurts the topics and issues that she is speaking on.

Also, specifically for TFA, her piece sticks out like a sore thumb and comes off as an attempt for them to add a concept track that could fit the title since the other tracks really didn't.