Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSo I've been playing these albums and I can't decide...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2972192&mesg_id=2972261
2972261, So I've been playing these albums and I can't decide...
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Sep-01-16 10:53 AM
I can honestly see any order.

Truth is, where one lacks, another picks up the slack and vice versa.

Illadelph is what made Black Thought my favorite MC since 96. He was on absolute beast mode way before Marshawn. And Malik kept up with him incredibly. With that said, this album is long and dark. Panic!, It Just Don't Stop, Episodes, and the Hypnotic all bring concepts into the mix. But overall the album is a chore to listen to and as much as I loved it back in 96, I find myself reaching for it less and less. And you know I can't not mention how much I hate Ursula Rucker. I've since swapped that bullshit out for the gem on the High School High soundtrack which fits in nicely.

Things Fall Apart...this is their classic. It has some of my favorite moments ever on here including the song I believe is their best, Double Trouble. With that said, outside of You Got Me, the ONLY topic is how nice they are. Well, I guess you could add Act Too as a topic but it's still about hip-hop. I've grown to appreciate an album about nothing if that's what it's aiming for. Like the Artifacts' "That's Them". Nothing wrong with some good old fashion MCing. It's just when it comes to splitting hairs, I do think "rapping your ass off" and "rapping your ass off on topics" is fair game to nitpick. It's just hard when it's this good. One of my favorite Intros of all-time as well. Too bad Ursula Rucker is on here with her dumb ass. I've since swapped her out for the impeccable bonus track "I'm Out Deah Pt 3"

Game Theory to me is their tightest album. 13 cuts. Perfect length. Topics. Beautifully produced. The last album still with Thought as the lead MC before he got mixed into all the guests. There pretty much nothing I dislike about this album. The title track is one of my favorite Roots songs ever. Only negative is that it just doesn't have the same nostalgia feeling as TFA does to me.

Gun to head...
1 TFA
2 GT
3 IH

And it might change next reply...