Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectEh, he's right...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2966358&mesg_id=2966526
2966526, Eh, he's right...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Fri May-27-16 07:49 AM
Bob Marley is *the* token reggae-guy and has been for decades; look in an average record-collection and the only reggae record will be Marley's "Legend"-comp. I don't know any other genre known in the west that has it as bad as reggae in that regard. That reggae *music* can't be properly encapsulated by Marley alone is besides the point; that is not what this article/text/whatever was about but rather which representative of the rock genre that will be remembered and why.

And I see no reason to make it race-related; a black-as opposed to white-*american* perspective on reggae wouldn't be too different simply because reggae didn't cross over like that in USA regardless of the race of the listeners; had it been a british perspective, there's a chance that race becomes an issue though for a variety of reasons...

Either way, using Bob Marley as the sole token symbol/face of reggae in the future is hardly a controversial standpoint because it's already like that, has been for decades and I doubt it will change...