Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectmy review
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2966029&mesg_id=2967135
2967135, my review
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Jun-04-16 08:20 PM
I took the train, using my free metro tap card, and got to the Palladium at 745pm. Doors at 7pm, and the show was supposed to start at 830pm. Upon getting in, i was able to get within 20 feet of the stage, but remembered Coachella 2007 (i took an elbow to the forehead in the mosh pit area), so i moved back and up to the balcony section. great views, less people. DJ Lord went on at 845pm and got the crowd warmed up for about 25 mins or so. by now the place was pretty much packed, but not sardine like. the lights went out and they all came out. The show started a little somber, at least for me, with Chuck announcing that Muhammed Ali had passed (I knew it was coming, but the last reports were he was still alive). Chuck D has the energy of a 25 year old. he never stops, but his moves are old man moves for the most part. this isn't bad at all, just a little funny to me. his vocals are excellent. b real is just the same. great energy live, great vocals. i could hear both of them very clearly. the band of course destroyed every song, except one imho (Rock Superstar), but not every sampled song can be duplicated by a band perfectly. it wasn't bad, just wasn't on par with everything else. the setlist was slightly different than the show at the Whisky; the order was slightly different. They started with Prophets of Rage, then did Guerrilla Radio, Bombtrack, Miuzi Weighs a Ton (one of my favorites, they killed it), People of the Sun, Take the Power Back, Rock Superstar, Testify, and then DJ Lord came back, and Chuck and B Real did a medley of PE\Cypress hits (hand on the pump-can't truss it-insane in the brain-bring the noise-i ain't goin out like that-welcome to the terrordome). Then Rage came back and they did Sleep Now In the Fire, Bullet in the Head, Shut 'Em Down, Know Your Enemy, Party's Over (everything except the chorus sounded great. weak, bland chorus), How I Could Just Kill a Man, No Sleep Til Brooklyn-Fight The Power, Bulls on Parade, finishing with Killing In the Name Of. The venue holds 3,700. Supposedly they sold about 3,000. Didn't quite look like that, but it was well packed. Could have been 3,000. I laugh when I hear figures of 5,000 thrown around. This was worth it after the first song. do not miss this if you like any of the three of these acts. While Chuck and B Real do not replace Zack on the Rage songs, they more than covered them well enough for me. i waited for 2 hours for tickets, and paid $20. insane. There are four (1) minute long videos on my instagram page (justinmichaelwalder) if anyone wants to watch\listen. i might add one more tonight.