Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNew Prophets of Rage album announced
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2966029
2966029, New Prophets of Rage album announced
Posted by las raises, Wed May-18-16 10:03 AM
I saw the posters yesterday here in LA and now I read this, hopefully we get some new material!!!

New Rage Album?

http://pitchfork.com/news/65557-rage-against-the-machine-launch-countdown-website/
2966030, RE: New Rage Against The Machine album???
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed May-18-16 10:18 AM
Hopefully this is the case. May just be a performance though.
2966032, Or the political state of the US finally got them going
Posted by las raises, Wed May-18-16 10:29 AM
I doubt they would put up all these posters for a performance
2966035, also, Nas and Zack are on RTJ3
Posted by justin_scott, Wed May-18-16 11:18 AM
2966095, Would rather have Pharohe Monche instead of Nas
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-19-16 09:05 AM
but with him owning part of Mass Appeal, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Remarkable El-P is able to pump out so many beats, especially given the fact he's been so busy touring.
2966121, not me
Posted by justin_scott, Thu May-19-16 02:15 PM
love Pharoahe, but he ain't nas.
2966053, This election is tailor made for them
Posted by j., Wed May-18-16 03:53 PM
if they were pissed off at Dubya and Gore in the 2000 election I can only imagine what they must feel like right now
2966054, was just reading your sig..
Posted by Robert, Wed May-18-16 04:13 PM
out of curiosity, you ever write for Miami New Times? i did a couple of hip-hop album reviews for them back around 1998-2000. i'm sure we were at several of the same shows back then too.. (like that infamous tribe/de la 1996 show in miami beach--de la was a no-show and phife and consequence finally came onstage like at 3am..after every miami hip-hop group in existence at the time did a half-hour set from 10p-3)
2966099, not for them, I had my own thing
Posted by j., Thu May-19-16 10:09 AM
I didn't go to that show you mentioned, but do remember hearing about it. That was always an issue back then, bunch of no-shows or drunk/high rappers fuckin up on stage.

2966059, Man the Bush years were good for hip-hop.
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed May-18-16 05:56 PM
It was unifying.
Everyone had a political (often Anti-Bush) song.
Even Lil Wayne had "Georgia Bush..."
Immortal Technique has a career because of the Bush years (and hasn't done a thing since).
I'm not saying I want a republican in office. I'm just saying...
2966061, I thought about making this exact same post a couple of years
Posted by las raises, Wed May-18-16 06:40 PM
Ago. I said this to a friend of mine and he looked at me like I was crazy, after a minute it clicked and he thought about it and said I was right.
2966055, Have they been playing live shows together recently?
Posted by Numba_33, Wed May-18-16 05:16 PM
Impressive nonetheless for them to be able to keep whatever they are doing completely under wraps in this social media day and age, especially if they are still on a deal with a major record label.
2966065, haven't performed since 2011 i think
Posted by justin_scott, Wed May-18-16 07:14 PM
2966068, It's NOT a reunion
Posted by justin_scott, Wed May-18-16 07:21 PM
It will include live performances. might be one live show, or multiple live shows. it DOES involve members of Rage, but also has many parts to it.
2966069, Damn I wanted some new material
Posted by las raises, Wed May-18-16 07:39 PM
2966070, me too, but who knows what may come of this
Posted by justin_scott, Wed May-18-16 07:45 PM
i'm just happy they're doing something at all.
2966071, Hopefully
Posted by las raises, Wed May-18-16 07:51 PM
2966080, So it's going g to be all members of RATM minus Zack w/ chuck d and
Posted by las raises, Wed May-18-16 11:39 PM
B-real from cypress hill
2966082, Not so exciting now
Posted by natenate101, Wed May-18-16 11:56 PM
Meh,
2966086, i'll check it out if something happens near LA
Posted by justin_scott, Thu May-19-16 04:28 AM
but not having Zack is really disappointing, and they probably should have advertised this differently.
2966089, who cares about this
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu May-19-16 07:58 AM
like who ever was hoping for something like this to happen
2966094, All three parties have their respective fan bases
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-19-16 09:03 AM
and I believe B-Real has his share of fans from the rock world, so I'm sure they'll pique some interest.

Have to wonder how well Zach De la Rocha will be taking this news though, especially if they perform Rage songs in his place.
2966096, I think B-real is a very good fit for them.
Posted by c71, Thu May-19-16 09:16 AM
They definitely seem to have more life in them as a band without Zach than Stone Temple Pilots did without Weiland.

Zach was never "all that" to me, but musically I like the band a lot.

B-real is pretty good. Not too sure Chuck will fit.
2966120, shit, i DO!!!
Posted by justin_scott, Thu May-19-16 02:14 PM
yeah, disappointed Zack is not involved, but Rage, Chuck, and B Real live...how could this not excite you.
2967137, lol. lots of people. you're not everyone.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Jun-04-16 09:58 PM
>like who ever was hoping for something like this to happen
2967138, 3,000 tix sold out in 56 mins.
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Jun-04-16 10:11 PM
so yeah, a lot of people
2966098, I hate this fucking bullshit
Posted by j., Thu May-19-16 10:06 AM
First G n R "reunites" w/o Izzy and Duff
Now this shit

DON'T ADVERTISE A FUCKING "Reunion" using the band name if the members of the band aren't part of it

call it a homage, tribute, a remix, whatever the fuck, instead of getting fans hyped for a comeback

No disrespect to B-Real and Chuck. I love them both, but that's not RATM

In fact, to the "new" RATM: Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!
2966104, So
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-19-16 10:52 AM
is it fair to say you're a but letdown?
2967139, they never did, we assumed that
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Jun-04-16 10:12 PM
2966119, I'll be interested in this
Posted by Mack, Thu May-19-16 02:03 PM
Chuck D's my favorite rapper of all time and B Real backed by RATM seems pretty natural. I'm in.
2966101, Sounds dope if you weren't already expecting Zach to be involved
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu May-19-16 10:37 AM
Definitely not RATM without him. I think B Real sounds like a good fit though. Chuck D is a maybe. This will probably be either really amazing or really awful.
2966103, Both guys have experience
Posted by Numba_33, Thu May-19-16 10:51 AM
performing with live rock bands, so that's a positive. I personally have no interest, but I would imagine folks will flock to see them. I'm guessing it was a mistake to invoke Rage's name since folks will get let down by the reveal. Have to kind of feel sorry for B-Real and Chuck D, assuming they had nothing to do with Rage's name being used to promote these shows; both guys have enough of a name to draw an audience without having to invoke Rage's name.
2966105, Yeah that was kind of dumb
Posted by sectachrome86, Thu May-19-16 11:02 AM
I guess they are wanting to appeal mostly to the RATM fanbase, not necessarily B Real or Chucks.
2966169, his verse on RTJ was pretty weak
Posted by fontgangsta, Fri May-20-16 09:41 AM
pretty much quelled my excitement for him to come back
2966178, WAT. that verse was FIRE, at least imho
Posted by justin_scott, Fri May-20-16 11:31 AM
2966875, I thought I was the only one...
Posted by Stadium Status, Wed Jun-01-16 01:51 PM
Some of that wordplay was really forced
2966111, All of you niggas who are saltly are fucking hilarious.
Posted by bwood, Thu May-19-16 12:48 PM
The group is called Prophets of Rage. It was never advertised or sold as a RATM reunion. It was a a mysterious rage related something until the cat came out of the bag.

And for all you smart, dumb niggas who say Chuck wouldn't be a good fit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ_zUa4IFsw

Also, before Audioslave formed and Rick Rubin suggested Chris Cornell, Chuck D was the one they wanted to front the new incarnation of the band.

2966113, RE: All of you niggas who are saltly are fucking hilarious.
Posted by c71, Thu May-19-16 01:26 PM
>Chuck D was the one they wanted to front the new
>incarnation of the band.
>
>

that's nice but B-Real is also involved and B-Real seems WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better "fit" for them.

that's what the ears tell me.
2966118, Both of them niggas are a perfect fit.
Posted by bwood, Thu May-19-16 02:00 PM
There's been a lot of Cypress/Rage crossovers too.
2966125, rage also did a cover of cypress' how can I just kill a man
Posted by las raises, Thu May-19-16 02:38 PM
One the renegades album. I'm interested to hear the project I just thought it was a new rage album
2966127, Yes I know
Posted by bwood, Thu May-19-16 03:10 PM
I have that album

Brad and Timmy played on Cypress's Skull and Bones album.

Tom Morello played on the last Cypress album for a few tracks.

Tom also did a remix of Checkmate.
2966116, still waiting on that El-P/Zack LP
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu May-19-16 01:37 PM
2966122, i don't see how anyone can think Chuck wouldn't fit with Rage
Posted by justin_scott, Thu May-19-16 02:18 PM
you do realize he's a political rapper who toured and worked with Anthrax right. you do realize he's a great live performer right. this isn't his first rodeo.
2966126, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted by bwood, Thu May-19-16 02:47 PM
These lame cornballs refuse to believe it though.
2966130, music is about sounds and rhythms. Not just politics - really not politics
Posted by c71, Thu May-19-16 03:26 PM
yes
2966134, Chuck D fits on all fronts. n/m
Posted by sweeneykovar, Thu May-19-16 03:46 PM
2966136, explain how you think Chuck won't fit
Posted by justin_scott, Thu May-19-16 04:01 PM
because i've seem him live several times. i've also seem RATM live several times, and i've seem B Real live once. All three acts are very similar, esp live.
2966137, I've been listening to Public Enemy since the late 80's
Posted by c71, Thu May-19-16 04:07 PM
I'm not used to hearing Chuck rhyme "in the pocket" (a VERY musical term)

I've been listening to RATM since the mid 90's. They are VERY about a specific Rock groove to me. Whatever variations they've done, they still have a signature/stereotypical groove to me - which is why they are them. (Zack is known for saying that's why he was frustrated by the band - because Zack wanted them more Sonic Youth type of rhythm experiemental than what EVERYBODY knows RATM for).

I just don't really know if Chuck could come off with Rage rhythm. I'm pretty sure B-Real can because B-Real's style fits an "in the pocket" type of rock rhythm.

I didn't say Chuck outright couldn't.
2966151, that's why i asked for some details
Posted by justin_scott, Thu May-19-16 09:05 PM
what you said makes more sense, and while i think Chuck will be just fine, i can see your side too.
2966165, I just remembered "by the time I get to Arizona" and Chuck did rhyme
Posted by c71, Fri May-20-16 08:56 AM
"in the pocket" on that song, but I'm used to a certain more forceful thing from Chuck and a certain thing from RATM and that's what had me sort of not sure how it would combine.
2966799, Prophets of Rage: Inside New RATM, PE, Cypress Hill Supergroup - RS
Posted by c71, Tue May-31-16 06:02 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prophets-of-rage-inside-new-ratm-public-enemy-cypress-hill-supergroup-20160531

Prophets of Rage: Inside New RATM, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill Supergroup

How Rage Against the Machine, Chuck D and B-Real united for one of the most anticipated groups of the year

By Andy Greene May 31, 2016

"We're not a supergroup," says Tom Morello. "We're an elite task force of revolutionary musicians determined to confront this mountain of election year bullshit, and confront it head-on with Marshall stacks blazing."

He is describing Prophets of Rage, a new band that brings together members of the guitarist's old band, Rage Against the Machine, with two of the group's favorite rappers: Public Enemy's Chuck D and Cypress Hill's B-Real.

Fans first learned about Prophets of Rage when mysterious posters started popping up around Los Angeles, and a countdown clock was posted on Rage Against the Machine's Twitter account. Some fans wrongly assumed Rage Against the Machine would be reforming for the first time since a one-off show in 2011, but even without Zack de la Rocha, the group will be playing classics like "Bulls On Parade" and "Killing in the Name" along with tunes by Public Enemy and Cypress Hill.

As of now, they only have one Los Angeles club show on the books, though the group hopes to set out on more shows this summer. We spoke with Chuck D, B-Real and RATM's Tom Morello, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford about how it all came together.

The Old Days

Wilk: When (the members of Rage Against the Machine) had just met, Zack got us tickets to a Public Enemy concert that was canceled since they were worried about riots. It was a really exciting time in music and we really connected to it. Zack, at the time, was heavily influenced by hip-hop. The first time I heard Cypress Hill was from Zack. He put in the tape in my car and was like, 'Check this band out.' I was like, 'Holy shit! This is fucking awesome.' Part of Rage's DNA was turning each other on to other music.

Commerford: I think the fifth show we played as a band was at a college in San Luis Obispo with Public Enemy. We covered Cypress Hill's "How Could I Just Kill a Man" on the Renegades album. The first Cypress Hill record and It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back were two of the biggest hip-hop influences on Rage Against The Machine.

Chuck D: I remember getting a demo cassette tape of Rage Against The Machine with a match in it. I thought that was interesting. What got me was their combination of rap and hard, aggressive music. It was one of those rare instances when the planets just lined up right and the alchemy of musical magic and history just poured out. I saw them in concert around then and what I remember most is how wiped out the crowd was afterwards. I had never seen a place destroyed; sweat and blood on the walls. The fucking tables were turned over and rafters pulled down. It was crazy. They're the Led Zeppelin of our time.

B-Real: I was taken to see Rage by a friend. She took me to a place called Club With No Name. When I heard the music I was totally blown away. I was moshing with the fans in the pit and they happened to see me and they brought me up and we did a song that became "Hand on the Glock" on the Black Sunday record. We became friends and we eventually would take them on one of our first big tours. To me, they were this generation's Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. At that point I was listening to nothing but hip-hop, but I started off as a rock fan. They rekindled that spirit inside of me that was laying dormant.

Chuck D: They had a different angst than a lot of the other bands of that time. Politics weren't really heard in the rock world. It was all, "Boo hoo, I didn't get my lunch money" or "Dad didn't buy me a car today, so I'm fucking mad at the world." That's bullshit. Rage were talking about some clear-cut things that we knew were worth screaming about.

Rage Against The Machine Goes On Hiatus

Rage Against The Machine broke up in 2000. Seven years later they reformed and hit the festival circuit, but they didn't record any new material. They haven't played since summer 2011.

Morello: Everywhere I go, people ask, "What are you guys going to do?" People are frustrated that this music has not been out in the world to fight for them; music without compromise or apology.

Wilk: Rage Against The Machine was the first band I was in. I will always love it. It will always have a special place for me. Having said that, it's four different guys with four different outlooks on what Rage Against The Machine means to them. I always want to be part of the band, for the most part. So anytime the four of us want to get together and do something, it's a good thing. It always feels good to me. Have there been times I've been frustrated by the fact we weren't doing anything? Sure. But that's not where I'm at right now.

Commerford: We're not breaking up. We just do things our own way. Throughout our career, we never did what anyone wanted us to do. We never made the records people wanted us to make. We never played by the rules people wanted us to play by. And here we are, 25 years later, still a band. Clearly that means something. And if we did ever play or make new music or anything, it would be a very big deal. And there's a lot of bands that I've seen come along during that 25-year period that did everything the record companies and the powers-that-be wanted them to do, and they sold millions of records. But where are they now? They're gone.

Prophets of Rage Come Together

Commerford: I'm gonna credit Tom Morello with the origin of the idea. He asked me if I was into it. He was the spearhead. When he gets his head wrapped around something it's like a mental python.

Morello: It all happened pretty organically. We've been friends for a long time. It's not like we went on YouTube and auditioned someone who could do a convincing version of "Bullet In The Head." That wasn't it at all. We've been musical comrades for a very long time. We've had a tremendous amount of respect for each other musically and politically. They're my idols and friends. I called up Chuck D. I think I texted B.

Chuck D: Actually, Tom talked to my wife first. She's very deep into the politics of Latinos, blacks, inequalities and stuff like that. They had a great conversation. For years I heard the rumor that Zack isn't going to perform with Rage Against Machine and they'll need someone to fill in. I talked to Tom and said, 'Sure.'

B-Real: I got a text from Tom. We've always talked about working together. He produced two songs on the Cypress Hill album Rise Up. When he called, I was more than motivated to do it. What he said to me was along the lines of, "The people need a voice right now. People need to hear these songs; a message." I was all about that. I'm not necessarily known for being in the political realm outside of (marijuana) legalization and whatnot. But I do have my beliefs. I think he valued that and decided to give me a call. I agreed that people need a voice right now. If we can serve that, I'm all for it.

The Rehearsals

Commeford: We first rehearsed at this little joint called Soundcheck Studio in North Hollywood. The first day it was just us and Chuck. We did a couple of Rage songs like "Killing In The Name" and "Take the Power Back." We wanted to see how it felt. It felt right. 'Take the Power Back" was actually the first one we did because I feel like the lyric was inspired by Chuck D. We worked on that song for a while and then we took some Public Enemy songs and did them in the spirit of the Renegade album.

Wilk: B-Real came into the picture a little later only because we were all busy. He was always on our minds and we knew we wanted to work with him. When we got into the room and saw how cool it felt, we said, "Why not ask B to be a part of this?"

Chuck D: I've been doing Pilates the past two years. It's the perfect core workout for any artist/entertainer, especially for anyone that does rap or speed vocals. If you don't do the songs right, you can die on fucking stage. I don't know if the Pilates prepared me for rehearsals. It was five hours of relentless speed and energy. Four hours of yelling and loud and bringing the noise for five, six days a week. I don't think normal people could do this shit. I don't mean I'm abnormal, though.

Morello: It had been a while since I played with Brad and Timmy. There's nothing that sounds like that rhythm. It's crazy. I've played a on a lot of stages, in every genre. There's nothing in the world that sounds like playing with those guys. To me, the rehearsals have felt at times like the very beginning of Rage Against The Machine. The level of camaraderie and unity of purpose is very exciting.

Chuck D: People need to know that DJ Lord is one of the six members of the group. He's been doing turntables for Public Enemy for the last 17 years. You guys should cover him more. He's not in New York or L.A. circles, but he'll bust a motherfucker's ass. There's no one better.

Assembling The Setlist

Morello: This has been a very organic process. Sometimes B will just say, "I'll take the second verse of this" and Chuck is very agreeable. A lot of our records, and a lot of Public Enemy and Cypress Hill records, there's a lot of doubled vocals. Now we're able to do them in a very exciting way with two of the best voices in hip-hop. We're able to explore all of our catalogs, but there's different twists and turns. We've taken some Public Enemy tunes and Rage-ified them. The song "Prophets of Rage" is a pretty obvious choice. "She Watch Channel Zero" has become a Rage-(meets)-Black Sabbath bulldozer. "Fight The Power" has morphed into something that you wouldn't expect. I also want to be able to go deeper into the Rage catalog than we have in the past. Let me tell you, you can put together an insane setlist from these three catalogs. It's insane.

Commerford: We're a group, so it's really great to hear Chuck D doing what Sen Dog might do in Cypress Hill and B-Real doing what Flavor Flav might do in Public Enemy, and to hear them both doing what Zack was doing in Rage. It's very exciting. I don't want to give away everything we're doing, but there's really interesting ways of doing Cypress Hill, Public Enemy and Rage and killing three birds with one stone. There's a lot of neat ways that you can play from the catalog.

Wilk: The setlist is pretty evenly split between the three groups. We're also playing a couple Prophets of Rage songs. We're doing some writing, but I don't want to give too much away.
Morello: There's one new song called "The Party Is Over," which is an absolutely from-scratch collaboration of all of us. In my view, it's one of our best songs.

B-Real: We're going to surprise people with how we put this all down. There are so many Rage songs that I love, but I think everybody's favorite is "Bulls on Parade." It just has a tremendous amount of energy. At this point, it's hard to pinpoint what the setlist will be, what will make the cut and what won't. We're having fun in the process.

Morello: So far we've played (the Cypress Hill songs) "How Could I Just Kill A Man," "Rock Superstar" and an intense medley with a bunch of Cypress songs. They have so many great songs that one of the greatest challenges is just whittling it all down. The options are endless. The Public Enemy and Cypress songs both left themselves to Rage-ificaiton.

The Future

As of now, there are no official plans for Prophets of Rage outside of the show at Los Angeles' Whisky a Go Go.

B-Real: We haven't talked about any of that stuff. We also have our commitments to Public Enemy and Cypress Hill. Everyone is working on their own projects. We just want to focus on the (Whisky) show and make sure we give them 110%.

Chuck D: We'll see what July and August holds. All I know is rehearsals are taking place and they're hard. After the rehearsals, the shows are easy. This is like the Chicago Bulls when they're in practice. By the time you get to the game? Fuck, man. The game is easy. You can beat anybody.
There are rumors the group might play a protest show outside of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland.

Morello: I enjoy rumors as much as anybody else.

Wilk: That is indeed just a rumor.

Commerford: I hope we do it. That would be amazing if we did, but I don't know if we will.

What's Up With Zack?

The Rage Against The Machine frontman has kept a low profile these past five years, popping up onstage at a Run The Jewels concert and in the audience of the occasional tennis match or NBA game.
Morello: I have not spoken to Zack about Prophets or Rage, but I know that Timmy and Brad did. They'd probably be better able to discuss that.

Wilk: I haven't talked to him recently. I know he's making a record right now. I have nothing but love and respect for him. I hope he's doing well and creating the record that I think he's making.

Commerford: I spoke to Zack and got his blessing, and that's really great. We're a family and there's support across the board. I support him and everything he does, and vice versa. I've definitely been keeping him in the know. You're never going to replace Zack, and we aren't trying to do that. He's a unique artist and showman. It's going to take people that I know he looks up to and that he idolizes and that he's inspired by. We're going to plug them in and see what they can do with these songs, because at the end of the day it's all about the songs. The songs are needed right now, they really are. This is gonna be some cool shit.

In Summation

Commerford: There's nothing quite like playing "Killing In The Name" in front of a live audience. It's a live wire and it's a beautiful thing. We're in troubled times, so we need this. We've missed these opportunities in the past, and we're not going to miss them this time. We're gonna be here. It's needed. It's gonna be scary.

Morello: Prophets of Rage combines the sonic power of Rage, Public Enemy and Cypress Hill. It's my contention that we can no longer stand on the sidelines of history. Dangerous times demand dangerous songs. Both Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are both constantly referred to in the media as raging against the machine. We've come back to remind everyone what raging against the machine really means. It's a voice that's been missing too long in the national/international dialogue and it's back. What better place than here? What better time than now?
2966859, they performed last night and will perform again Friday (link)
Posted by las raises, Wed Jun-01-16 11:28 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prophets-of-rage-set-defiant-tone-at-explosive-l-a-debut-20160601?page=2

I want to go to the show sounds like a great set
2966863, wonder how you get tickets to the palladium show
Posted by justin_scott, Wed Jun-01-16 11:35 AM
nothing on the palladium's website.
2966877, last nights show went on sale yesterday morning I'm guessing same
Posted by las raises, Wed Jun-01-16 01:58 PM
For Friday's show or maybe on their website once the countdown is over? If I hear anything I'll post
2966895, tickets on sale tomorrow at the Palladium box office, 10am
Posted by justin_scott, Wed Jun-01-16 05:03 PM
no line allowed before 8am. $20. i will definitely try.
2966943, I got my ticket for tomorrows Palladium show
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Jun-02-16 01:30 PM
Check out my ig for pics and info (justinmichaelwalder).
2967129, how was the show Justin?
Posted by las raises, Sat Jun-04-16 05:27 PM
2967135, my review
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Jun-04-16 08:20 PM
I took the train, using my free metro tap card, and got to the Palladium at 745pm. Doors at 7pm, and the show was supposed to start at 830pm. Upon getting in, i was able to get within 20 feet of the stage, but remembered Coachella 2007 (i took an elbow to the forehead in the mosh pit area), so i moved back and up to the balcony section. great views, less people. DJ Lord went on at 845pm and got the crowd warmed up for about 25 mins or so. by now the place was pretty much packed, but not sardine like. the lights went out and they all came out. The show started a little somber, at least for me, with Chuck announcing that Muhammed Ali had passed (I knew it was coming, but the last reports were he was still alive). Chuck D has the energy of a 25 year old. he never stops, but his moves are old man moves for the most part. this isn't bad at all, just a little funny to me. his vocals are excellent. b real is just the same. great energy live, great vocals. i could hear both of them very clearly. the band of course destroyed every song, except one imho (Rock Superstar), but not every sampled song can be duplicated by a band perfectly. it wasn't bad, just wasn't on par with everything else. the setlist was slightly different than the show at the Whisky; the order was slightly different. They started with Prophets of Rage, then did Guerrilla Radio, Bombtrack, Miuzi Weighs a Ton (one of my favorites, they killed it), People of the Sun, Take the Power Back, Rock Superstar, Testify, and then DJ Lord came back, and Chuck and B Real did a medley of PE\Cypress hits (hand on the pump-can't truss it-insane in the brain-bring the noise-i ain't goin out like that-welcome to the terrordome). Then Rage came back and they did Sleep Now In the Fire, Bullet in the Head, Shut 'Em Down, Know Your Enemy, Party's Over (everything except the chorus sounded great. weak, bland chorus), How I Could Just Kill a Man, No Sleep Til Brooklyn-Fight The Power, Bulls on Parade, finishing with Killing In the Name Of. The venue holds 3,700. Supposedly they sold about 3,000. Didn't quite look like that, but it was well packed. Could have been 3,000. I laugh when I hear figures of 5,000 thrown around. This was worth it after the first song. do not miss this if you like any of the three of these acts. While Chuck and B Real do not replace Zack on the Rage songs, they more than covered them well enough for me. i waited for 2 hours for tickets, and paid $20. insane. There are four (1) minute long videos on my instagram page (justinmichaelwalder) if anyone wants to watch\listen. i might add one more tonight.
2967216, Great videos, you had a great view.
Posted by las raises, Mon Jun-06-16 01:40 PM
Thanks for sharing
2967212, Full tour announced!
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Jun-06-16 12:26 PM
http://prophetsofrage.com/
2967220, So are they going to create new music and put out an album?
Posted by sectachrome86, Mon Jun-06-16 02:07 PM
or just perform RATM, PE, and CH songs?
2967226, They already have
Posted by justin_scott, Mon Jun-06-16 04:03 PM
Party's Over is a new song (music sounded great, couldn't make out the lyrics, but i could tell the chorus was bad and bland). no idea on any possible album, though i wouldn't expect that.
2967480, all tickets on sale today for their tour!
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Jun-10-16 12:30 PM
2991122, Prophets of Rage Prep Debut Album, Release Fiery Video - RS swipe
Posted by c71, Thu Jun-01-17 01:06 PM
sounds a-ight, a little tame, not raw enough, but decent

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prophets-of-rage-prep-debut-lp-release-michael-moore-video-w485195

https://youtu.be/6ad4MH7fMLs

Prophets of Rage Prep Debut Album, Release Fiery, Michael Moore-Directed Video

Tom Morello, Chuck D, B-Real rail against abuses of power on latest rock-rap eruption, "Unfuck the World"

By Elias Leight

Prophets of Rage take aim at President Trump, authoritarian dictators, racists and any "who seek to harm the innocent and the powerless" on the truculent track "Unfuck the World." The song will appear later this year on the group's debut album, Prophets of Rage, due out September 15th.

Prophets of Rage start "Unfuck the World" with Tom Morello lingering over a gnarled, nails-on-the-chalkboard guitar riff for nearly a minute. Rappers Chuck D and B-Real break the tension with a fiery couplet: "No hatred, fuck racists!" Then the band settles into a bread-and-butter boom bap groove. Morello makes his presence known again during the hook, playing scabrous, punchy riffs.

Prophets of Rage united with director Michael Moore for the "Unfuck the World" clip. It mixes live footage of the band performing in front of riled-up crowds with various images of things the group stands against: Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, police brutality, various facets of the military-industrial complex, the Confederate flag, fake news, the mass production of meat, Kendall Jenner's idiotic Pepsi ad and, apparently, Kim Kardashian's selfies.

In a statement, Moore declared himself "thrilled to once again be working with my old friends and comrades in the struggle for a just world." "Prophets Of Rage is the right band, saying the right shit, at this very critical moment," Moore added. "I am proud to have directed this video and I ask all who see it do their part to unfuck this world. ALL HANDS ON DECK!"

"Unfuck the World" is part of Prophets of Rage, the group's first full-length. Grammy-winner Brendan O'Brien, known for his work with the likes of Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC and Morello's old band Rage Against the Machine, will serve as producer on the record, just as he did for the EP Prophets of Rage released in 2016.

"There were rhythms before there were words," Morello said in a statement. "Music has both the ability to reflect and transform the times."

Prophets of Rage Track List:

1. "Radical Eyes"
2. "Unfuck the World"
3. "Legalize Me"
4. "Living on the 110"
5. "The Counteroffensive"
6. "Hail to the Chief"
7. "Take Me Higher"
8. "Strength in Numbers"
9. "Fired a Shot"
10. "Who Owns Who"
11. "Hands Up"
12. "Smashit"
2991211, I like the effort but I feel embarrassed for them
Posted by FunkyBoss, Fri Jun-02-17 10:55 PM
Chuck and Breal make this look like a bad cover band.

Reminds me of this MTV show in the 90's I think it was called 'Becoming the band' or some shit. They would give regular fans the same clothes, choreographers, instruments as whatever band they wanted to impersonate and even let them re-create a video the band did. prophets of rage to me is same level corniness as that show

i love them all in their previous acts but for me, just my opinion, prophets of rage is a swing and a miss. but i do realize i'm in the minority cuz I see all their instagrams and they pack their shows like a MF'er
2991305, It's not so much that the music is 'bad'
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Jun-05-17 09:34 PM
My sister saw them and said they put on a great show. They mostly played their old hits with their previous bands. The new songs did go over well though.

But compared to their works of the past, the Prophets of Rage stuff doesn't reach the heights of their old stuff with their previous bands.

They're all in their 40's (or 50's like Chuck) so it would be improbable that they could all rage with the fury that they did back in their 20's and 30's.

2991378, lol reminds me of the RATM ripoff song from the WWE DX "Generations X"
Posted by amplifya7, Wed Jun-07-17 07:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snW-5AHxYTA
2991392, Nah... the one that REALLY jacked RATM was Jack Swagger
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-08-17 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_XGU8iVc5E

When I first heard it I thought it was a pretty damn respectable imitation.

Then I found it was really RATM and thought it was a relatively weak effort.

Still dope for a WWE theme though.
2994649, isn't it by a RATM cover band called Age Against the Machine?
Posted by justin_scott, Wed Aug-23-17 02:11 AM
doesn't even sound like zack
2991380, One Day As A Lion >>>>>>> This
Posted by amplifya7, Wed Jun-07-17 07:12 PM
Can we just get a ODAAL album instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mKtt7F0rPU
2997862, ^^^^^
Posted by dustin, Tue Nov-14-17 01:11 PM
They need to Kickstar that joint. I can't believe it's almost been 10 years since that EP dropped.
2997927, I was so disappointed with that album
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Nov-16-17 08:21 PM
First song is amazing. Everything after that was a skip for me
2994637, Radical Eyes - video
Posted by c71, Tue Aug-22-17 01:21 PM
https://youtu.be/jc3waP7syjk
2997833, hands up video
Posted by c71, Mon Nov-13-17 05:17 PM
https://youtu.be/9nWmvf1soTY
2997861, I grew up on RATM but I'm so over Tom's solos
Posted by dustin, Tue Nov-14-17 01:10 PM
Having said that I am kinda warming up to the idea of this group. These tracks sound like refined RATM but with different rappers. I don't think I would care for a new RATM album with Zack in 2017/18 anyway
2997926, Unfuck the World is dope AF, but that's about it
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Nov-16-17 08:20 PM
As a live act, I love these guys, but as a recording act, I want to, but I just don't.