Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI disagree
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2963507&mesg_id=2963665
2963665, I disagree
Posted by BigReg, Mon Apr-25-16 11:05 AM
It's a discussion similar to the 'im a feminist' move that all the pop scarlets were pulling a couple of years ago where when asked activists feminists answered along the lines of, "I don't know about calling em feminists, but whatever makes people investigate feminism is ok with me".

As a board of 90's hip-hop heads lets not act like we never got put onto progressive/activist focused issues from a random song (and nine outta ten times that same messenger immediately followed that bar with them shooting someone, lol)

We live in an age where Textbooks are literally being re-written to be intellectually dishonest. I can't be mad at pro-black imagery being introduced into pop culture even if the reasons why are disingenuous, particularly since its culture in 2016 where the battle is being fought(foxnews, blogs, etc).

If Beyonce sells Malcolm X t-shirts and caps for 50 dollars a pop this tour cycle, I can't be mad because some kid somewhere is going to dig deeper because of it. Would I like my activism to be not self serving, focused on the message and free of corruption? Of course. But this is America.