Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe battle over P's vault is going to be vicious
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2963180
2963180, The battle over P's vault is going to be vicious
Posted by OldPro, Thu Apr-21-16 01:16 PM
I understand if this is too soon for some folks but with no real heir this could get real messy.
2963183, Yep. nm
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Thu Apr-21-16 01:18 PM
2963194, INBOX.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Apr-21-16 01:45 PM
2963254, !!!
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-21-16 06:36 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2963868, Inbox?
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Apr-26-16 11:23 AM
2963184, I hope he put something in his will a la Stevie
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Apr-21-16 01:21 PM
2963186, Hope it aint the same as Stevie's alleged clause
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Apr-21-16 01:29 PM
Would love to hear that stuff someday.
2963195, What does the clause in Stevie's say? N/M
Posted by HIM, Thu Apr-21-16 01:51 PM
2963199, Rumor is, he wants everything unreleased destroyed after his death
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Apr-21-16 01:58 PM
2963207, I could see Prince having made this same request
Posted by OldPro, Thu Apr-21-16 02:12 PM
I hope not
2963211, Yep.Totally. But I def. hope not too. N/M
Posted by HIM, Thu Apr-21-16 02:31 PM
2963210, NOOOO! and WHHHYY??!?!!!
Posted by HIM, Thu Apr-21-16 02:30 PM
I mean, if it's a bunch of "What The Fuss" type stuff then whatever but man if it's anything prior, what a shame.
Although as I type this, at that point of his death, I'd want access to EVERYTHING because even during the down years, there is no telling what type of stuff he worked on.
There would have to be some jewels, regardless of the era.

Somebody needs to start reel stealing man!
ASAP!
2963196, Me either. But if it is, I understand
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Apr-21-16 01:51 PM
I very much want to be selfish and say I want to be able to hear all that music. However, we have no idea what's tied up with who and who will get money from what release. And it very well might be that Prince didn't want certain people or companies profiting from his demise. And I can respect that if that's the case.
2963238, Agreed
Posted by Ishwip, Thu Apr-21-16 04:13 PM
>I very much want to be selfish and say I want to be able to
>hear all that music. However, we have no idea what's tied up
>with who and who will get money from what release. And it very
>well might be that Prince didn't want certain people or
>companies profiting from his demise. And I can respect that if
>that's the case.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
2963226, both parents are alive, right?
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Apr-21-16 03:21 PM
and some siblings?

hopefully his will is air tight!
2963234, no...and I never thought we'd be discussing this < 20 years from now
Posted by rdhull, Thu Apr-21-16 03:48 PM
2963235, oh that's right.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Apr-21-16 03:53 PM
2963241, the rumor is that the vault is INSANE
Posted by fontgangsta, Thu Apr-21-16 04:21 PM
fully produced albums
high production music videos
documentaries
singles ad nauseam
2963264, A part of me hopes it stays closed
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-21-16 07:34 PM
Or gets sunk in Lake Minnetonka or something.

Either that or get donated to a library.

But more the former. I don't think he wanted it. I think he leaked every single bootleg that ever existed. And there's so much of that I can't even imagine more. And I don't want them to become releases. And I damn sure don't want new mixes of shit. Like I don't want anyone making decisions about his music. If it isn't in his will nobody should have the right to do shit.

I don't even want remasters. I want the statement to who he was to be as it was when he left it. Period.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2963381, I'm almost with you.
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Apr-22-16 03:24 PM
>Or gets sunk in Lake Minnetonka or something.
>
>Either that or get donated to a library.
>
>But more the former. I don't think he wanted it. I think he
>leaked every single bootleg that ever existed. And there's so
>much of that I can't even imagine more. And I don't want them
>to become releases. And I damn sure don't want new mixes of
>shit. Like I don't want anyone making decisions about his
>music. If it isn't in his will nobody should have the right to
>do shit.
>
>I don't even want remasters. I want the statement to who he
>was to be as it was when he left it. Period.

Especially that last line.

I highly suspect Prince was behind those leaks myself. What better way to promote yourself. Time will tell if the leaks dry up after he's gone (still can't believe I'm typing that).

But I'm not sure I want to see releases. They're gonna be curated, they could be edited, they could be ALL kinds of shit. If it ain't leaked, fuck it.

All I want to see is Prince's "statement" as you put it... accessible.

TIDAL is not enough.

The one thing I never want to see is dude to fade into nothingness because no one ever heard his shit
2963280, his Sister Tyka could get it
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Apr-21-16 08:43 PM
i just hope his music gets put out and heard and also folks respect his passing and not make a mockery out of it.

maybe ANdre Cymone or Morris Day or Jimmy Jam might get something who knows. but i don't trust them evil record companys. you see how much of a fradulant thing they did to MJ? those albums in death have been horror and Bull.
2963286, RE: his Sister Tyka could get it
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Apr-21-16 09:37 PM
>maybe ANdre Cymone or Morris Day or
>Jimmy Jam might get something who knows.

He cut ties with Andre & Jimmy mad years ago, so Morris and Tyka probably going to be the sole owners of everything, the property, the catalog, royalties, everything.

2963815, I sure hope so Maxxx
Posted by MME, Tue Apr-26-16 05:00 AM
Jimmy Jam has also expressed interest in producing it. That would be awesome.
2963282, It's the Holy Grail....
Posted by murph71, Thu Apr-21-16 09:18 PM

of pop music catalogues....It's taken on a life of its own....
2963714, Cold as it sounds this is a topic Prince fans have talked about for decades
Posted by OldPro, Mon Apr-25-16 01:42 PM
It's almost surreal we are now here at this point. Any Prince fan saying he hopes this stuff never comes out is a less selfish person than me.. Been waiting more than half my life to see what's actually in there. I hope we get all of it.. the vault is at the very center of the Prince mythos.
2963285, I Think Price Is Smart Enough To Have A Will...
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Apr-21-16 09:32 PM
...and the lawyers already know who will inherent his catalog and royalties (and I hope his 2nd wife doesn't get it), ...I HOPE HE DID THIS, or you are right, it will be a big feud over it.

2963310, for some reason i imagine its locked down so no one can do anything.
Posted by GumDrops, Fri Apr-22-16 05:59 AM
could be wrong.

i doubt he has a stevie-like clause. he wouldnt have archived it all, all these years, for nothing.

secretly i hope he made instructions to release it all once he died.

will be interesting to see what WB is able to do. i would only want warners to handle his archive tbh. i dont trust any independent parties to handle his estate.
2963750, The Stevie clause doesn't sound right in a Prince context.
Posted by denny, Mon Apr-25-16 04:39 PM
Wasn't the whole Warner Bros beef that they wouldn't release as much as he wanted? Like they thought he was gonna over-saturate the market and he just wanted an endless string of releases?

That's different from an artist who doesn't want unfinished/half-baked demos to get leaked.
2963312, warners statement refers to their relationship in the *past* tense
Posted by GumDrops, Fri Apr-22-16 06:22 AM
http://www.wmg.com/news/rip-prince-21311

Today, we lost one of the most revolutionary talents of our time. Prince’s untimely passing is deeply shocking, reminding us that unique artists who chart their own course and move culture are precious few and irreplaceable.

He leapt onto the scene in 1978 and it didn’t take the world long to realize that pop music had changed forever. He played the studio like an instrument and shattered the definition of live performance. He defined a new kind of superstardom, with a transformative impact not just on music, but on video, film, and style.

Prince was the epitome of cool and mystery - an inspirational soul who created his own universe by bringing together different genres, races and cultures with a purity of sound and spirit unlike any other. His visionary gifts as a songwriter, vocalist, musician, performer and producer placed him in a league all his own.

We are honored to have had Prince as a member of the Warner Bros. Records family during two eras of his astonishing career. We express our deepest condolences to everyone who loved him and join his family, friends and legion of fans in mourning his loss.
Cameron Strang, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. Records
2963393, Prince Was The Most Litigious Artist Of All Time
Posted by Luke Cage, Fri Apr-22-16 08:58 PM
Anyone who thinks he wasn't prepared for this is being very naive. He had provisions in his agreement back when he was under contract so there is no way that he didn't have VERY specific instructions for everything now. Trust..he had a plan. Whether we all like the plan or not it will be HIS wishes.
2963717, True but he was also a cat who lived through faith
Posted by OldPro, Mon Apr-25-16 01:45 PM
If he didn't feel his time was near he may not have put things like this in order.. he wouldn't be the first.
2963705, What Columbia did with Miles Davis sets the bar
Posted by love2000, Mon Apr-25-16 01:08 PM

I think the Miles Davis multi-CD box sets that Columbia put out are beautiful, with incredible liner notes and are a good model for future Prince vault releases.

Some CD's may have multiple takes of the same song across various time periods that allow you to see how the song evolved over various takes. The market for this kind of release is much more limited, but it is the only example I can think of that presents the music as it was recorded and allows the listener to make their judgements about why it was or wasn't released..

I have most of these and some songs are even partial songs that Miles abruptly ends because he didn't like the way a note was played.

Sure if there are complete albums ready to be finished, release them as he planned, but if the goal (which I think it should be) is to share as much of his recording genius of Prince with the rest of the world, then having them properly curated, compiled and released under a specific theme or time period is the best way for this stuff to come out.

All the Columbia recordings were available in a single box set much later in a limited edition trumped case:

https://www.milesdavis.com/news/the-genius-of-miles-davis-a-must-for-miles-davis-aficionados/
2963773, agreed.
Posted by HotThyng76, Mon Apr-25-16 06:41 PM
considering the amount of this material that's already out there circulating and has been for years...WB and the estate need to get up on it! there is money to be made...i just hope P's will allows them to do it.

he's got enough material and enough devoted fans to sell these things. especially in limited editions.

shit...i'm listening to Purple Rain tour rehearsals right now. i only have a few songs from these rehearsals - i'd love to hear more.
2963817, or Dylan's bootleg series
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 05:42 AM
2963816, id prefer it doesnt come out
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 05:34 AM
the real question really is who is in charge of his estate, and how much they care about these things. if its tyka nelson, i imagine her and princes half siblings would probably be interested in releasing his unreleased material as it would mean some money for the family.

but who would decide what is worth release? without wanting to be disrespectful, for every moonbeam levels, im sure prince had a lot of stuff that probably doesnt deserve release. it wasnt all golden.

if they can do an official version of a series like The Work, which i think compiled his bootlegs best, that would be cool (and i think these represent the best of what was in the vault - prince prob DID leak this stuff, or maybe susan rogers or whoever engineered for him did, though if that was the case, they would prob be fired for it, and ive not heard any stories of anyone being fired for leaking, so either he did it, or was cool with someone else doing it to increase his reputation).

i dont know who would oversee it, apart from someone like alan leeds. and i would prob only trust warners to do right by the material, as they prob still have some staff who were there when prince was. or people they can call back. there must have been something happening when they announced the purple rain deluxe editions.

but in a way i kinda prefer the old muddy mixes.

even the black album sounded better (and faster!) on dirty 10th generation bootlegs than when it was finally released.

2963818, Have you heard the Perfect Unreleased Prince series?
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 06:21 AM
Cleaner versions of several key tracks that've circulated in muddy form for years. They make me want WB to release clean versions of all the bootlegged stuff.

And I would trust Quest to curate the releases bc he's a fan and a musician and a recording artist and a Prince geek so he can relate to us and P and the music on all the levels that matter. Maybe he could collaborate with Alan Leeds.
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 06:58 AM
i tuned out of prince bootlegs a while ago. a friend of mine had the work series though, which i was impressed by, and those were pretty clean. im just used to my old hissy versions lol.

i think we will see something though. even if its just deluxe editions of official albums like PR (i would love to see that at the very least, with b-sides, mixes, and maybe the syracuse live show as a dvd/cd bonus).

all the stuff thats happened since last week has proven, in a way that might not have happened if prince was still alive, that there is an appetite to know/hear more about the vault. for a long time, i think no one was sure if the market/critical interest was there. but now i think it would be a serious loss/oversight if that stuff doesnt come out (who would buy it though i dont know - SOTT didnt even make this weeks top 50 on the billboard charts!).

i hope they dont do what the hendrix estate did, which was great reissues of the main albums, then just random compilations and live shows (with terrible artwork, though ok, not as bad as prince's post-95 artwork) afterwards.

a bootleg series i think, like they did with dylan, would be the easiest solution.

ive a feeling though that it wont be the flood of material fans expect. the vault has become such a myth that if its not all stellar, it would ruin the hype, and prince's standing. better to just release the absolute best, and make people fantasise about the rest.
2963821, What is this SOTT 25th anniversary deluxe thing?:
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 07:06 AM
http://www.jfuzion.com/2012/04/prince-warner-bros-and-npg-records-to.html?m=1
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 07:15 AM
2963844, Er, guys, check the date of that article.
Posted by CRM, Tue Apr-26-16 08:58 AM
2963855, its from 2014. It's old.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 10:16 AM
I know. Is it real? Was this released? If so, will there be more like it?
2963862, oh that's right. it's an old April Fools joke.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 10:52 AM
i remember now.

but still - it looks good. if there's ever going to be a SOTT Deluxe that's a pretty good proposal.
Posted by MME, Tue Apr-26-16 07:10 AM
God i hope he gets it

Imagine him and Terry and Wendy and Lisa doing stuff with that music it would be fucking epic

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/entertainment-news/200601/Jimmy-Jam-I-want-to-produce-the-recordings-in-Princes-Paisley-Park-vault

Jimmy, who grew up with the music icon in Minnesota, once played in singer's band, but he and sidekick Terry Lewis were fired when Prince discovered they were moonlighting with the SOS Band.
Jam tells Access Hollywood Live he had not spoken to his old friend for months before his sudden death on Thursday (21Apr16), but he does recall a conversation they had about Prince's fabled Paisley Park vault - where the prolific musician kept all his song ideas and unreleased recordings.

"The vaults are amazing," Jimmy says. (There's) probably thousands (of recorded songs).

"We actually talked about that... and we told Prince we wanted to produce them, that that was one of the things on our bucket list. And he laughed and he said, 'OK, what would you do?'

"I said, 'The first thing we'd do is we'd go down to the vault and we'd get all those records... and start working with those', and he said, 'OK'... It's great music."

And Jimmy admits that even though Prince fired him, the two always remained good friends.

"Prince told us he didn't want us to produce and write for any other acts and we did and he found out about it and subsequently fired us," Jam recalls. "We knew there was a picture of us in Billboard magazine of us working with these people, the SOS Band, and we were trying to hide every (copy of) Billboard magazine we could find. He finally did (see it)."

Paying tribute to his late friend, Jimmy Jam insists no one in the music business worked harder.

"He expected excellence from everybody... He had the discipline like James Brown, like the way James Brown used to operate his bands - you had to be ready at any moment to switch a song, change the key to a song... but his work ethic was beyond everybody else's.

"It's like (basketball great) Michael Jordan - the most talented guy walks into the gym and already has the talent... but then he's gonna outwork you... That's the way Prince was."

© WENN Newsdesk 2016
2963825, would he really be the right person?
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 07:16 AM
susan rogers' idea, to let the musicians he was with at the time of the material handle it, seems a bit better. though its got to be a massive collaborative thing i think.
2963836, i kinda don't want anyone to 'produce' the vault material.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 08:20 AM
i don't want Jimmy/Terry or Wendy/Lisa or anyone to 'finish' those songs any more than i wanted Prince to finish them. i don't want them touched up - i want them released as-is.

like w/that Crystal Ball 1997 release where Prince pulled out vault songs - he touched up a few of them (or so it seemed) and i wished he hadn't b/c i only wanted clean versions of the songs i'd heard on bootlegs.

2963841, agreed
Posted by makaveli, Tue Apr-26-16 08:47 AM
but I'd much rather them be touched up by Prince and not someone else.
2963988, i basically agree
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Apr-27-16 07:21 AM
The goal shouldn't be to "finish" anything but rather to make what's there accessible and listenable in terms of sound quality. Which is why as important as the curator/editor of the series will be, the engineers may be important than anyone --- no matter what it will be a team effort.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
2964448, RE: i kinda don't want anyone to 'produce' the vault material.
Posted by logobeatz, Mon May-02-16 12:21 PM
>i don't want Jimmy/Terry or Wendy/Lisa or anyone to 'finish'
>those songs any more than i wanted Prince to finish them. i
>don't want them touched up - i want them released as-is.

THIS.That's why i think Questlove would be perfect for curating the stuff - he would not tinker with the recordings, just select.
2963884, Anything close to being finished needs to be left as is
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 12:14 PM
I'm fine with Jimmy getting the scraps and making the most of them though.
2963886, What I fear the most is the MJ "Xscape" bullshit
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-26-16 12:18 PM
With the estate or record label bringing in external producer to remix and "contemporize" his vaulted stuff. Even the scraps.
2963891, I love "Love Never Felt So Good"
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 12:50 PM
I could do without the JT version but I felt they did a really good job with that track. There are a couple others I thought worked on there too. Was it a great album.. no. But I'd argue it was as good or better than many of MJ's later releases. I understand the 'purest' mindset.. I just don't think unfinished tracks sitting on shelves does anyone any good.
2963971, love never felt so good was better served for Johnny Mathis
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Apr-27-16 01:37 AM
back in 84. the estate,etc,, turned the MJ vault into a circus show and MJ wouldn't have green lit alot of those songs.
2964044, MJ green lit a lot of tracks he probably shouldn't have
Posted by OldPro, Wed Apr-27-16 12:39 PM
Same with Prince but even more so

I liked it and still play it along with Loving You and the original versions of Place With No Name and Slave to the Rhythm. If folks don't want to listen they don't have too.. but I loved having "new" music from Michael the same way I'm sure I'll love a lo of the "new" Prince stuff that will come out. These artists weren't perfect when they were alive so I'm not going to expect perfection after they are dead.
2964118, i guess with me unles you got a Ottis Redding"sitting on the dock of the bay
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Apr-28-16 02:14 AM
or you got out with a Sam Cooke " a change gonna come" then i don't expect any top tier stuff, however always a chance for something good we shall see, on a whole i haven't really dug the MJ tracks put out after he passed. to me they are mainly b side material,not bad,however just cool in spots imo
2964153, Well with Prince we know for a fact he has cuts in there
Posted by OldPro, Thu Apr-28-16 10:44 AM
Even if it's not 100s I know based on bootlegs there are more than a dozen cuts I'd pay for in good quality.
2963907, Two words: WENDY - LISA. Problem solved.
Posted by MME, Tue Apr-26-16 02:03 PM
NO ONE knew his music more than they did...they'd know what to do with it. I'd trust them IMPLICITLY.
2963920, naw.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 03:41 PM
they were only around for a few years.

the majority of the stuff in the vault was created after they left.
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 04:05 PM
One thing is for certain.. no matter what is done there will be a bunch of people pissed off. No way to make everyone happy here.
2964183, I don't want to hear such an album for Prince, but Xscape was a good Mike record
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-28-16 01:25 PM
it's MICHAEL (the 2010 album) that was some bullshit.

Only good parts of it was "Best of Joy" and "Behind The Mask"
2963835, man's, it's so complicated
Posted by thebigfunk, Tue Apr-26-16 08:12 AM
The completist in me would love full Columbia treatment as love2000 suggested, with every scrap of everything compiled into really tight, period-based sets, so you could really peek into his mind as stuff came together.

On the other hand, tighter, more manicured sets get around the problem that Gumdrops points out: not everything is good. But then again, who are we trusting to determine what should stay and what should go, or even what the criteria is for making that decision?

I think that whoever takes control of the process would benefit from thinking long-term, in decades even... I could imagine a scenario like the following:
1) Get the albums rereleased in some nice formats (again, Columbia did well with Miles, or Rhino with Costello (although Costello had a *huge* hand in those album releases from the early '00s). Good liners, a handful or 2nd disc of critical bonus tracks from the period. This is the first big goal and should be the first round to come out.
2) Plan some compilation releases that compile the "best of" unreleased and little known material. These could be curated by ex-bandmembers or engineers or whatnot.
3) Bootleg series of live shows a la Dylan: these are going to be a must-do eventually, and again Columbia does them right. Get a schedule going and release 1 or 2 a year. Start with the classics... full performances with little editing except for time.
4) The completist sets (like the Davis ones)

But what do I know? I want it all, and thinking about this shit and typing this out makes me feel uncomfortable...

-thebigfunk

2963840, oh, i expect plenty of the vault stuff to be 'not good'.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 08:32 AM
hell, plenty of the officially released stuff is 'not good'. LOL

i'm fine w/that. that's part of the journey.

i keep bringing up Quest as curator b/c he's familiar w/the bootlegged material that's circulated for years now. and so i think he understands the market for the vault material. he has a better idea which songs WE want pulled from the vault.

Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 08:47 AM
he might be good as a consultant though

they should really just go to the bootleggers

the guys who compiled all the stuff

theyre the people who know this stuff inside out

or per nielsen or someone like that, who has really documented it all

but even some of the famous live bootlegs arent actually THAT good

like, small club, from 1988, has some good moments, but as a whole? nah. his aftershows are pretty hit and miss (as they would be, considering theyre just loose informal sessions after the main show). id be happy if most aftershow bootlegs stayed as bootlegs.
2963856, ok.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 10:16 AM

Posted by rorschach, Wed Apr-27-16 02:02 PM
that could produce and release all the posthumous stuff appropriately. Like some have already noted, not everything is going to be roses. But a good chunk of it will be.

IMO, whoever ends up with the estate should seriously consider working in conjunction with WB to put out editions for all the major albums under WB. I'm thinking deluxe editions (perhaps not remastered) with deep liner notes, all the B-Sides, cut songs, and session takes packaged with each album.

After those are done, then maybe the other albums can be released in a box set. Followed by a Vault series where every vaulted album comes out.

I'm just spitballing here but I think a lot of people would agree that the priority is getting WB albums the treatment they deserve.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------
2963859, BUT, who buys CD's anymore??
Posted by love2000, Tue Apr-26-16 10:37 AM

The beauty in the Miles sets wasn't only the music, but the packaging and the lengthy writeups that came with each CD. And this worked, for the average Miles Davis CD buying public in 2002...

I'm not sure this is the case now as there are only a handful of folks left who prefer to buy their music on CD's but I think there is a large enough legion of Prince fans who could make a traditional release financially feasible. I would NOT want to see stuff just compiled and released digitally. But that is my own selfish bias that digital releases perpetuate garbage, lazy music making as the product is more disposible than a traditional release.
2963974, people are buying princes mp3s
Posted by GumDrops, Wed Apr-27-16 04:45 AM
so....
2963987, yeah
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Apr-27-16 07:17 AM
Again, I think it's tricky. CDs are still default mode for millions upon millions of music listeners, though... nice vinyl sets would be cool but cost a lot more (great thing about CD sets these days is that they tend to be *way* more affordable than they were even six or seven years ago)

Definitely don't want digital only, but I expect and support digital releases. Can't tell you how many boxsets from other artists I've streamed online or bought a handful of tracks from on ITunes bc the set was too expensive for me to justify a full purchase of --- digital has its perks and uses, but I get what you're saying.

-thebigfunk

2964124, RE: man's, it's so complicated
Posted by murph71, Thu Apr-28-16 06:24 AM

>1) Get the albums rereleased in some nice formats (again,
>Columbia did well with Miles, or Rhino with Costello (although
>Costello had a *huge* hand in those album releases from the
>early '00s). Good liners, a handful or 2nd disc of critical
>bonus tracks from the period. This is the first big goal and
>should be the first round to come out.
>2) Plan some compilation releases that compile the "best of"
>unreleased and little known material. These could be curated
>by ex-bandmembers or engineers or whatnot.
>3) Bootleg series of live shows a la Dylan: these are going to
>be a must-do eventually, and again Columbia does them right.
>Get a schedule going and release 1 or 2 a year. Start with the
>classics... full performances with little editing except for
>time.
>4) The completist sets (like the Davis ones)
>
>But what do I know? I want it all, and thinking about this
>shit and typing this out makes me feel uncomfortable...

This^^^^^^....I'm with u 100 percent.....
2963845, According to TMZ, his estate will be split 6 ways.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Apr-26-16 09:26 AM
According to Minnesota law, siblings get an equal share. He has 6 living ones. And if his two dead siblings had children, they would get equal shares.

All this to say that any decision making regarding reissues and new music being released is probably going to take some time and be very contentious with that many chefs in the kitchen.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
2963846, Interesting...so he didn't have a will?
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Apr-26-16 09:34 AM
I wouldn't think the Minnesota law would come into play unless there wasn't a will in place.
2963848, Right now they're saying there is no evidence of a will.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Apr-26-16 09:56 AM

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
2963850, you'd really think there would be, for someone of his standing
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Apr-26-16 10:00 AM
sad that there's no wife, or other family members to take care of it.

2963852, Well, at least now we know that we'll definitely hear that stuff.
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Apr-26-16 10:05 AM
Since he didn't leave a will saying to destroy the vault after he was gone.

I just hope those 6 put a good team together and do this right. I don't want overproduced mashups of other artists singing verses along with unfinished Prince songs. I really just want to hear the full completed songs he did that weren't released before because they didn't fit on an album.
2963857, Its also early.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 10:19 AM
It's common for a will to be located later than this.

I would be stunned if a dude as litigious as Prince died intestate (aka without a will).
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 10:23 AM
I'm not sure where halfsies fit in. Either way the estate would be tied up in probate court for years if there is no will and 1 full blood sibling with 5 half siblings are potential heirs. Plus if there any potential children they too need time to make themselves known.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Apr-26-16 11:25 AM
half siblings and full blooded are treated the same, thus as the last remaining immediate family, they would get 6 equal shares.

cscpov.blogspot.com

-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
2963871, ah okay.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 11:26 AM
i'll be surprised if there's no will located in the coming weeks.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Apr-26-16 11:24 AM
Could make good executors of the estate?

The seem to be doing a pretty good job with MJJ no?

Reading this made me nervous.

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/41740/20160425/purple-prince-empire-struggling-business-death-sister-takes-tyka.htm

Here is what I would do. Make guys like the executor. Deal makers who can make money off of the estate. have them report to a board composed of a couple member of Princes family (they have the majority vote) a creative like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and a Historian Like Alan Leeds.

Get a University to house the works. Or better yet have a University manage the archival but run it out of Paisley Park.

You should have three separate groups, one making money off the estate (for the benefit of heirs), one creating music our of the estate and the other preserving the history and the three groups should checks and balance over each other. the Business side can't do something that fcuks up the creative legacy (i.e, Jimmy can't allow them to put out wack music).

Or the family should host an RFP for different groups to come in and pitch to them how they would manage the estate.

There is a right way to do this, and yet, so many ways it can go wrong.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
2963877, Here we go.... "Prince's Sister Says Musician Had No Known Will"
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 11:56 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/princes-sister-says-musician-had-887675
2963878, sure but he could've filed one w/o her knowledge.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 12:00 PM
this dude? who saw the mess left behind after James Brown died? and who saw how MJ's estate was handled...and all the money it'd collected as of last week? i don't see him NOT having a will somewhere.

it's early.
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Apr-26-16 12:04 PM
The idea that he wouldn't have everything planned out to the T of how his estate should be handled in the case of his demise would be baffling.

Now, I can see someone at some point trying to contest the validity of said will once it's found, but I'd be beyond shocked if there's not a will out there somewhere.

And as an aside, where do things stand with James Brown's estate these days? Has the body even been officially buried?
2963881, the last i heard JB's estate was STILL tied up in court.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 12:07 PM
STILL.

the SC Supreme Court was going to hear an appeal of some sort. i never heard about a decision.
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 12:12 PM
Especially in light of these new court fillings... I really don't think he had one man. Like I said yesterday people seem to forget how much faith played a part in P's life. If he thought he had a predestine time to go and it wasn't anywhere near.. well it's easy to see how this could have created a blind spot.
2963885, no, i wouldn't.
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 12:16 PM

Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 12:45 PM
2963893, from your linked story:
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 12:56 PM
"Under Minnesota law, a person can file a will with probate court in secret. If Prince did so, the fact one exists would become public once a death certificate is filed, but the medical examiner has not yet issued one for Prince. An autopsy was conducted Friday and his remains were cremated Saturday."

Prince seems like the kinda guy who might've filed a will w/the court in secret. he also seems like the type whose will might call for his estate to be held in a secret trust.

again - it's not at all uncommon for a will to be located weeks after a person's death. and considering Prince just died less than a week ago nothing unusual has occurred yet. even his sister running to court w/this filing is not unusual. AFAIK she and Prince weren't bosom buddies - she wasn't his confidante. she also wasn't his lawyer or manager. so it's entirely possible she doesn't know as much about his biz as it may seem. it's also possible that she has (shady?) ppl in her ear encouraging her to run to court w/this filing trying to secure her position in the fight over P's estate if he died intestate. this filing in and of itself is not necessarily proof that P died w/o a will. don't read too much into it.
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 01:23 PM
Sounded like he had helped her multiple times but she kept having reoccurring drug problems. You could be right that we'll hear about a will later on.. but I wouldn't call his sister shady just because she filled this with the court. If she doesn't know about any will what else do you expect her to do? If she doesn't move now how does she know who else is out there ready to try and make a claim?
2963903, maybe she has (shady?) ppl in her ear...
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 01:38 PM
i said.
Posted by OldPro, Tue Apr-26-16 04:07 PM
I just don't think it's fair to float that when we know so little about what's really going on
2963926, (shady?)
Posted by HotThyng76, Tue Apr-26-16 04:26 PM
i said.

which means maybe these ppl who might be advising homegirl are shady. but maybe they're not. i dunno. that's what the question mark indicates.

"?" is a question mark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_mark
Posted by murph71, Thu Apr-28-16 06:18 AM
>I just don't think it's fair to float that when we know so
>little about what's really going on

Basically....And I'll go a step further....Following the "No Will" revelation" the news that Prince's bank (Bremer Trust) will act as the chief administrator in terms of who gets what is just about the best thing that could have happened in what has seemingly turned out to be a clusterfuck legal matter....

This is pretty clean, guys....Very sterile...Tyka was smart enough to say, "I need some professionals to handle this...." But another reason why she picked Prince's bank to deal with his monetary affairs is she wanted to have distance between herself and Prince's money. That way the remaining siblings who by legal right will get a portion of Prince's estate cannot claim Tyka is playing favorites with certain family members or that she is trying to hold on to the bulk of the estate....Prince's bank will have the final say in terms of who gets what....

Makes things less messy....If they had the same Minnesota law where James Brown lived and had legal ties, you would not see the craziness that's disrespected that great man's legacy....
2964151, They literally drilled their way into the vault..
Posted by OldPro, Thu Apr-28-16 10:39 AM
You'd think now would be a good time for someone to speak up if there's a will. Those of you who think he had one how much longer do you hold onto this idea?

New Developments: Prince Received Out-Patient Treatment, Bank Trustee Drills Prince's Vault Open
http://kstp.com/news/prince-received-out-patient-treatment-bank-trustee-drills-princes-vault-open/4119830/

>>Meanwhile, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has also been told Bremer Bank, recently appointed trustee of Prince’s estate, hired a St. Paul company to drill through Prince’s personal vault at Paisley Park Tuesday. Sources said the bank had to move quickly to get inside the vault because, as court-appointed trustee, Bremer is legally responsible for safeguarding and handling all of Prince’s assets.
The vault is known to store Prince’s invaluable recordings, of which, dozens have not been released. Prince was the only person who knew the combination, which is the reason Bremer Bank had to hire someone to drill through the lock to retrieve and take inventory of its contents<<
2964181, Minn law allows a person to file a will in secret.
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Apr-28-16 12:59 PM
Per the info I posted the other day as found in an article you linked, that sort of will is made public after the death certificate is filed by the coroner. As of Tyka's filing the other day, no death certificate was filed. So back then the existence of a will filed with probate court without HER knowledge was possible. And that was part of my point.
Posted by rdhull, Tue Apr-26-16 05:13 PM
nobody as meticulous as Prince would have no will, contingency plan, or whatever

even if its being claimed by others he wasnt worried about one, blah blah blah

>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/princes-sister-says-musician-had-887675
2963896, One thing working in Tyka's favor.....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue Apr-26-16 01:10 PM
she has music people who she's known for years, who knew her brother... and would be able to treat the vault with the level of respect it deserves.

2963916, god i hope so
Posted by MME, Tue Apr-26-16 03:23 PM

2963921, It's the money part I'm worried about.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Apr-26-16 03:45 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

2964125, RE: It's the money part I'm worried about.
Posted by murph71, Thu Apr-28-16 06:33 AM

Don't be...She has handed over the reigns to Prince's bank...They will make the money decisions...So u won't see too much squabbling with family members....All of P's siblings under Minnesota law will get an equal share...

The only thing folks should REALLY be worried about is Prince's estate going into the future....From a business and artistic sense...Who will make sure that Prince's estate (future releases, remasters, the proposed Paisley Park Museum) gets on the right track? I believe that's when u will see someone like a Londell McMillan (Prince's lawyer) step in...His entertainment background would be perfect to serve as "his" John Branca...

2964154, You're right...
Posted by OldPro, Thu Apr-28-16 10:48 AM
as the title of this thread says I was expecting much worse.. now there still might be a battle when it comes to who gets to make the calls on what and when it comes out.
2964105, messy boots
Posted by fire, Wed Apr-27-16 08:23 PM
2964107, I Just Hope Tyka Don't Get The Idea Of Selling His Possessions
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Wed Apr-27-16 09:53 PM
The fact that he had four (or was it five) recording studios, of course the vault, and a ton of living quarters, I just hope she or his/her lawyers start selling off items like instruments, recording equipment, his clothing, furniture, etc.

I don't care if his estate is worth three million, or half that, she should be content with his home/compound, and sit back relax, release an unreleased album every six months for the rest of her life, and her kids life until it's no more left to release.

2964128, Its bigger than vault, there is a free for all starting right now.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-28-16 06:57 AM
The mixes. The t-shirts, memorabilia.

Because Prince wasn't actively licensing his music and image, there is a huge void for people legitimately buying his shit and now that he is dead everyone is profiting off him except his estate. This ish is a mess.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/28/prince-image-death/

>I understand if this is too soon for some folks but with no
>real heir this could get real messy.

2964129, RE: Its bigger than vault, there is a free for all starting right now.
Posted by murph71, Thu Apr-28-16 07:43 AM
>The mixes. The t-shirts, memorabilia.
>
>Because Prince wasn't actively licensing his music and image,
>there is a huge void for people legitimately buying his shit
>and now that he is dead everyone is profiting off him except
>his estate. This ish is a mess.
>
>http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/28/prince-image-death/
>
>
>>I understand if this is too soon for some folks but with no
>>real heir this could get real messy.

That Minnesota law is NUTS.....
2964132, Naw, most states don't recognize a post mortem right of publicty
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Apr-28-16 08:51 AM
I am a big fan of liberal IP law so I am not mad at that. Prince's estate should be way ahead of it though an licensing official Prince girl to freaking Target and other outlets so that there is no market for bootleg stuff.

2964163, most of that merch is trash
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Apr-28-16 11:50 AM
id be more worried about all the youtube uploads and get them removed ASAP if they plan to do anything with his vault recordings.
2964172, still stunned there was no will
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Apr-28-16 12:10 PM
even if 70% of millionaires apparently dont write them.

baffling.

fingers crossed this has a happy ending. because not stipulating anything, like what to do with paisley park, seems tragic. also the fact hes going to have to pay a TON in taxes, when if he had put into a charitable trust, it could have gone to a worthy cause.

shame. :(
2964178, RE: still stunned there was no will
Posted by murph71, Thu Apr-28-16 12:45 PM

That JW religion mixed with Prince reportedly not liking the idea of signing any such paper work....
2964180, funny cos george clinton was saying in billboard
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Apr-28-16 12:56 PM
how he admired prince for being on top of his business in a way he wished he had been. and after all his industry battles, and advice he gave to other artists to pay attention to the bottom line, i just cant get my head around it, even knowing that it might have conflicted with his faith.

maybe he just never anticipated it coming so soon.

2964193, he signed paperwork all the time though.
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Apr-28-16 01:48 PM
he was involved dozens of contracts at any given time throughout his career. including the end.

unless there's something specific about a will that was offensive to him or his sensibilities. i dunno.
2964820, This is what I've been saying
Posted by OldPro, Thu May-05-16 06:48 PM
>
>
>That JW religion mixed with Prince reportedly not liking the
>idea of signing any such paper work....

The man lived by faith and probably didn't see his time coming.. It really never shocked me to hear he had no will. But I see a bunch of folks still holding onto the idea one is out there. Wouldn't surprise me to have a Howard Hughes type forgery come forward at some point though.
2964461, doesn't make sense
Posted by Approaching, Mon May-02-16 04:04 PM
given his philanthropy (first and foremost) and public attitudes about control and protection of his work, i expect that something will change.

perhaps something is hinging on the death certificate, which is held up from the autopsy.
2964185, give it to sheila e!
Posted by fire, Thu Apr-28-16 01:28 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/28/sheila-e-prince-sister-tyka/
2964324, At Least Shelia E. Got Some Sense & Loyalty To His Legacy
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sat Apr-30-16 01:07 AM
For years I've always wondered why her and Prince never been married but that's an whole other situation, but I think she was the only artist (other than Alan) he dealt with I think had a career before he got down with him and still is performing and doing studio work, and I wouldn't be surprised did ghost percussion work on some of his music later on afterwards.

>http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/28/sheila-e-prince-sister-tyka
Well from that lank it seems she has the right idea of what Prince Nelson would've wanted to go on with his estate and wealth (I really hope they find a will in the next month or so though).

2964329, Not a good idea.She's already said she thinks NOTHING should be released.
Posted by logobeatz, Sat Apr-30-16 01:47 AM
2964215, Kind of related: Is the ban on his stuff being on the video sites
Posted by Teknontheou, Thu Apr-28-16 06:53 PM
more or less over?

I haven't seen this addressed anywhere yet.

A ton of stuff got posted by about Monday or Tuesday of this week. I'm guessing at the very least his people are just going to take a break from pulling stuff down while everything is still (I'm guessing) crazy within the camp.
2964325, Youtube Seems To Be Not Effected Right Now But...
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Sat Apr-30-16 01:20 AM
I have a tumblr and a alias soundcloud account and already some issues, my alias soundcloud got deleted this past weekend and on my tumblr page I posted up three Prince songs (two are live songs, while one was an unreleased song) and I've had two of them taken down three days ago, here is the email I got for the tumblr one:

We’ve received a notification of alleged copyright infringement on one of your blogs. Here are the details of the content in question:

Copyright holder: John E Henehan (Web Sheirff Incorporating Entertainment Law Associates)

content in question: Prince - I Guess I'm Crazy, Prince - Possesed

Description: Unauthorized copyrighted material.

The content has since been removed, in accordance with US law and Tumblr’s own copyright policies.

It’s important for all creators that our users respect copyright, and so we ask that you take greater care when posting other people’s creations to your Tumblr blog. You can review Tumblr’s Terms of Service (https://www.tumblr.com/policy/terms-of-service) and Community Guidelines (https://www.tumblr.com/policy/community) for more information on our copyright policies.

Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we are legally required to the terminate the accounts of repeat infringers. The notice we received counts as one strike against your account. If you receive three uncontested strikes within 18 months, your account will be terminated. You can contest this notification by following the instructions for a “DMCA Counter-Notification” found here: https://www.tumblr.com/policy/terms-of-service#dmca. A successful counter-notification will remove this strike against your account.

Please note that if your account is terminated for repeat copyright infringement, any new accounts you create will also be terminated.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, who the fuck is John E Henehan?

2964305, they forced the vault open
Posted by beatnik, Fri Apr-29-16 05:38 PM
I think this is bad, if he didn't intend to put that music out people really shouldn't speak for him and say what should be done with it. I was just watching that Kevin Smith video where he talks about filming that documentary for Prince and how he was told there were over 50 fully produced music videos in the vault but were never put out. as a fan I'd love to see/hear it all, but the man had a reason for sitting on it.

if anything just put it out as he recorded and don't give him that Biggie/Pac treatment with a bunch of duets with people he might not have worked with if he were still here.
2964431, I think this was done as a matter of accounting
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon May-02-16 08:18 AM
not as a means to plunder what is contained therein
2964443, RE: they forced the vault open
Posted by murph71, Mon May-02-16 11:54 AM

Nah...it was just normal business protocol...Nothing more...nothing less...The bank is now in charge of protecting ALL of Prince's assets...And that includes his biggest asset of all: his music....
2964328, Only solution: Questlove should curate the Vault.He's an authority and
Posted by logobeatz, Sat Apr-30-16 01:45 AM
not biased (as ex members or relatives might be).Otherwise it's becoming a desaster.
2964446, Still No Prince Will, But The Judge Is Cleaning It Up (CNN)
Posted by murph71, Mon May-02-16 12:06 PM

So it looks like they have a special administrator now appointed to help the family oversea P's estate/assets...They r taking a very clinical approach to this...GOOD....

Here's the one line that stands out from the CNN piece: "The court determined that all possible heirs have been reached and have been provided the opportunity to be included in the petition filed by Prince's sister, Tyka Nelson, said First Judicial District Judge Kevin Eide."

And here's another quote, which does give one pause: "It's one thing to divvy up dollars among six people, but how do you divide a guitar collection, or 'Purple Rain,' or an unfinished piece of music, among heirs? And what if they don't agree on how to use or sell those things?"....For example: What if they can't decide on whether or not Prince wanted his unreleased songs to be heard by the public?"

link: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/02/entertainment/prince-estate/

But like I said on Facebook. here's how I see it:

If Prince's remaining family want to keep his music closed to the public, so be it. But if Tyka and FAM want to unleash the goodness that is in that vault out to the fans they should either get Londell McMillan on the phone (Prince's former lawyer) or John Branca, who represents and operates Michael Jackson's estate/music. Branca and crew have made MJ, in death, nearly a billionaire; and that's with JUST Mike's great but past old albums and stuff that they have had to scrape together...

Forget music licensing/commercials or any of that other greed-driven nonsense...I'm just talking about Prince albums being remastered (desperately needed); box sets, concert albums/video releases AND some of the unreleased gold in that vault. Prince has HEAT folks; unreleased material that's better than some of his best work....Hope it sees the light of day and is handled properly....