Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti feel like i came late to the game.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2935981&mesg_id=2936444
2936444, i feel like i came late to the game.
Posted by zildjianfighter, Mon Jun-29-15 11:27 PM
i've appreciated hiphop my whole life (born in 1983) but only started rapping just over 3 years ago. I always wanted to rap, but being a mixed race kid born in Kentucky, and growing up in Australia, via a few years in Salt Lake City, UT. I never really felt like I could ever be taken seriously, if i pursued hiphop.

but getting older and the way i get into rapping as just something i happened to love and kind of accidentally found out i could do well. so since everything has just happened so organically. i feel comfortable embracing it now.

but i still look up to guys who have eaten and breathed this shit their whole life. in places where hiphop is life and where hiphop was created.
i want to be able to go to new york city, or philly, or LA or anywhere really. and once people get passed the australia accent have to say... fuck it. the kid can spit. let him spit.

plus there's a change in the air, people are hungry for genuine again and i think freestyle is as genuine as it gets. it's about that moment and you're either there and a part of it. or you missed it. and video's don't do it justice, cause it's a conversation being shared right then and there.

just some thoughts. hopefully it was coherent. i'm currently in a custody battle for my kids... and if i'm really honest, a big part of this post is really just and excuse to think about something else!