Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectStreet musician & that grew
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2935981&mesg_id=2936086
2936086, Street musician & that grew
Posted by zildjianfighter, Thu Jun-25-15 02:59 AM
into getting offered paid gigs.

I started as a percussionist. playing hip hop beats on cajon.
and was making a solid living off just that from the get go.
then i began to rap over the top of the beats, just to kid around really.
i loved rap, but never thought of myself as a rapper.
but i would drop a biggie verse or a will smith verse. just something people knew and could rap along to.

then one day i just freestyled and people dug it.
so i kept practicing and would do it every time i played.
until i was more focused on that then percussion.

after about 6 months rapping while playing cajon. i bought a loop pedal, guitar, amp and mic.
then started looping beats and learning well known songs to do acoustic covers of but instead of learning the whole song. just learn the chorus and freestyle for as long as could hold peoples attention and if they started to get board or i got tired, i'd just bring that chorus in.

going out and street performing 4 nights a week. i built a fanbase. eventually started a Facebook page and got people to add that when i met them on the streets or at gigs. crowd funded an ep. got little bit of national radio play in Australia.

then recently i've done an impromptu tour of the east coast of australia. just jumped in my car and went from city, street performing and picked up gigs in each city by someone seeing me performing & busking.

plus i got kind of lucky that a few videos that people had put up, got some traction online. so i had Facebook video's getting me a few hundred extra lights each week.

which has meant more and more gigs too.