Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectCouple more good ones
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2926369&mesg_id=2926705
2926705, Couple more good ones
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Apr-06-15 02:10 PM
The World Is Yours (remix), Labels (remix) - Video versions of songs are great if you can find that version somewhere. Before we had access to vehicles, we were stuck with Sam Goody, Kemp Mill, or whatever local record store. CD singles and CMS were all we had access to. The Q-Tip remix was on none of those and it drove my brother and I mad. So we borrow the family car and head up to 12 inch Records in Dupont Circle. Flip through the hip hop section, grab a few white labels & bootleg albums. My brother then makes a bee line to the 'N' section . Grabs a record and heads to the listening station. 5 seconds later he's jumping up and down like he found gold. Sure enough, it's the remix. We rush home, dub it to cassette and spend the rest of the day riding around to it. Same thing happened with GZA's 'Labels'. The cassette single didn't have the right mix, but we found the 12"

UB Style (Sinister Mix) - The video version (https://youtu.be/RweMkdLIj9k) is slightly different from the cassette version, and most DJs that play it only have the 12" with this version of it. However, the video version was called the Sinister Mix, which was on a different 12". I tracked down a copy a few years ago as an import. I was quite happy with that one

The Ultimate - We used to see The Roots every time they came to the 9:30 Club. One show around the Illadeph album they came to town and terformed one song that was 'Rock-Rockin it!' but never showed up on Things Fall Apart. All we know is that shit was a banger. Same show, when 'Clones' came on, the crowd seemed to turn into a white boy mosh pit. My friends and I were just shoving people in the middle of it on purpose. Nobody noticed.... Anyway, fast forward some years to a late night Tower Records store run. I come across a Roots CD single with a song called 'The Ultimate'. Could it be? Maybe? Possibly? Hit the register, get to the car, pop the CD in the deck. That was the mystery song we heard some years ago. Magnificent