Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHere's a few that come to mind
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2926369&mesg_id=2926696
2926696, Here's a few that come to mind
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Apr-06-15 01:48 PM
Best:
The Midnight Marauders/36 Chamber release day. Listened to Tribe in my headphones as usual, and loved the album. Passed that off to my brother for him to listen to then popped in 36 Chambers. I clearly remember when the record was over, I was in my backyard sitting on a bench. I stopped the tape and just held my walkman shaking my head in shock and awe. Nothing was going to sound the same after that album. It was the last true 'movement' album I can remember

Kind of Blue - Everybody has heard All Blues at some point in time, so I was familiar with the tune since being a kid, and had the album on my Ipod for a while. One early winter afternoon the wife and I are heading to her parents house in Baltimore, and we drive past her old school. She wanted to drive around it for a memory lane moment. So we drive around the school and she's retelling high school stories while Flamenco Sketches is playing. Right around the time when Cannonball hands off to Evans, everything about that song and that album clicked and resonated in a way I never imagined

Rappers Delight, Roxanne, Roxanne, The Show - I have to credit my cousins for all of these. 1st time I heard Rapper's Delight we were at a party at their house in '79, but I was more concerned with their race car set. For UTFO, I clearly remember being at their house on Livingston Road memorizing the words to that. And for The Show we were on their front stoop off East Capitol Street bugging out to the Inspector Gadget music

Any James Brown - Back when we lived in SE DC my father would have James Brown days on the weekends. He'd open the windows in the living room of the apartment, fire up his BSR 810 Transcriber turntable and blast James Brown so we could hear it outside while we were playing in front of the building. Cold Sweat is still one of my favorite records because of this

I'll be back for more in a bit