Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthe record still have some chart life in it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2921187&mesg_id=2921207
2921207, the record still have some chart life in it
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Feb-21-15 08:30 AM
I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit more radio push. The record is *far* more radio friendly than most are making it out to be. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've heard Betray My Heart once or twice now (one time in rush hour r&b mix) and thought it worked exceptionally well.

Ultimately though, I don't think there's any reason to be worried. Dude came out of nowhere and charted high for several weeks? And I'm convinced a lot of that fanbase was new... this is where the mystique and the hype does pay off, as I think that the praise for the album and the story behind the album (plus the nostalgia trigger of, "hey, it's that guy who did Crusin and How Does It Feel!") made casual fans much bigger fans. He's got a tour ahead of him that will probably sell out (or come close) at just about every stop, vinyl of the album is *just* being released. This isn't making Taylor Swift money or anything, but it's not doing bad by today's standards.

A strong single --- strongest option might actually be Another Life --- and one or two well-placed soundtrack options will suit him just fine. No one expected the record to break any records. Wouldn't be surprised if we see a deluxe edition or a live album (or something similar) to extend the lp's life.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~