Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecti feel ya
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2920946&mesg_id=2921047
2921047, i feel ya
Posted by Stadium Status, Wed Feb-18-15 11:41 PM
the everyman thing is definitely long gone, so i understand that it can definitely be frustrating for all the fans who came onto him because of that - i think he's creative enough that he can still make quality stuff but these days his way of making music is so outsourced /he's so far gone as an individual that most hints of his personality have been stripped away (as an aside - one thing i really did like about yeezus was that having rick rubin there stripped a lot of potential BS out of the project - it sounds abrasive, but it also sounds cogent and concise).

in the bigger picture, it's a shame that that "everyman" rap style was bubbling under, blew up and then morphed into into j.cole/wale empty radio fodder (i actually like cole but he's not emotionally interesting enough to hold this title properly). i guess that's how it always goes when things ascend to a certain commercial level but still...feels like phonte and murs etc should have gotten more commercial love post-college dropout