Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: How would you rank Kanye's discography?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2920946&mesg_id=2920963
2920963, RE: How would you rank Kanye's discography?
Posted by BigReg, Wed Feb-18-15 11:10 AM
1)Late Registration - Probably the best mix of ‘old’ Kanye and what he was eventually going to become with the at the time, experiment production from Jon Brion(strings, piano solos, etc).

2)My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Id argue it’s the true sequel to Late Registration because it took a lot of those ideas and put it to the EXTREME.

3)Yeezus - Kanye rapping over Nine Inch Nails beats? More please. And while it’s problematic sampling of ‘Strange Fruit’ always irked me, this is Mr.Yeezy at his most political...which I always found interesting since many people would argue this is where he lost his way (unless you move the marker earlier to MBDTF)

4)808’s And Heartbreak - I don’t love this record, but I respect it immensely. This birthed so many careers.

5)Graduation - A very very solid album. However because it's his least experimental I find myself turning less and less to it...

6)The College Dropout - Has aged kind of badly. It sounds ‘cute’ in 2015.

7)Watch The Throne - Has it’s moments, but overall it’s overblown. Lots of fat o the record, if you factor in the bonus tracks and trim the fact it could rate higher. It's when I realized how much Jay-Z sucks now; he brought that album down.