Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHaha, wait a minute.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2919611&mesg_id=2919725
2919725, Haha, wait a minute.
Posted by initiationofplato, Fri Feb-06-15 02:38 PM
Where is this hostility coming from? There is really no need to get angry. We are just sharing our thoughts about music, I apologize if it came across as possessive.

>>A crashing wave is truly the best analogy I can come up
>with
>>for how I hear it.
>
>Cause this is meaningless.

Sometimes it's difficult to put artistic expression into words. That's why there's music, to say the things we feel with an instrument that there are no words for. An ocean wave is built on a multitude of unfolding patterns/layers, which hold the wave in the very shape it's in before ultimately crashing on the shore. It looks and feels chaotic, but underneath the illusion of chaos there is perfect order and physical forces affecting it.

I think Jazz exhibits a highly technical form of song writing. Not anyone can pick up a horn and start blaring, in time, on key, and with emotion. This extends to all the instruments. Playing in time is one thing, playing with swing, expressing one self, adding personal and social layers, conveying a deeper message with the human heart/soul, doing it with a technical flare which requires a great deal of skill and musical sense, are some of the examples of the layers that Jazz demonstrates. The final crash and culmination of all these elements, by an orchestra, with a player that ties it all together is like the final crash of that wave.