Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject"4,3,2,1" did what "get at me dog" gets the credit for...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2918077
2918077, "4,3,2,1" did what "get at me dog" gets the credit for...
Posted by patek_fleek, Mon Jan-26-15 12:09 AM
don't get me wrong, "get at me dog" was a major MAJOR MAAAJOR record.

mostly in part to the fact def jam had it running every 10 minutes on NYC radio and on BET.

but when people (mostly irv gotti) say that record "took mainstream rap back to the streets"... yeah, ok, i guess so.

but "4,3,2,1" was out months earlier.

a huge underground record, right on par with something like "rampage" or "da headbanga".

and it precipitated the "ether" (way bigger record than "ether" imo) of it's day: "2nd round ko".

"4,3,2,1" was the record that history has laid claim that "get at me dog" was...

"get at me dog" was huge, but it honestly wasn't that dope a song, not especially original (bozack who?), and has aged like shit.
2918091, I can't say I agree or disagree because I didn't realize that sentiment
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Jan-26-15 06:28 AM
What I do know is that 4,3,2,1 is surely the song that made everyone who wasn't familiar say "whoa, who is this DMX dude????" and that lead to the build up of his album and single....AND it launched Canibus and that whole beef, which was really the most talked about thing from the song.

"Get at me dog" has surely aged like soda, as many DMX solo songs have done. I'd much rather hear "Niggas done started something" today. "Stop being greedy" and that whole synth-orchestra sound sounds hella old as well now.
2918124, A lot of the late, late 90s.....
Posted by The Wordsmith, Mon Jan-26-15 11:36 AM
....early 2000s synth Hip Hop has aged like milk. I didn't like a lot of what was popping then but wow how a grip of that stuff has really aged horribly. A lot of those songs sound cheesy as hell.

Since 1976
2918125, Agreed on the sound but Stop Being Greedy man...
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Jan-26-15 11:37 AM
That song is still tough for me.
2918163, "4,3,2,1" was a huge record, period.
Posted by patek_fleek, Mon Jan-26-15 01:52 PM
it was a huge club record.
the video was on constantly.
it got a ton of radio love.

it just didn't have def jam pushing it down everyones throats to the same extent "get at me dog" did.

"4,3,2,1" dropped in late 1997 and it was the record that moved jiggyness to the side for 1998.
2918166, the only reason anyone would have a gripe about this
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-26-15 01:59 PM
is if they were working at the label at the time and feel like someone dropped the ball on them, or they had the opportunity to work the dmx joint but went with ll instead and are still pissy because of their bad career choice, so instead they'll just blame it on the label which helps their ongoing argument that labels are bullshit because of payola and buying their own records which by this account takes it back to 97 which means they've been right all along, even if these stupid lessonheads don't give them the respect they deserve.

#thanksforreading

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2918168, interesting theory... try this one for size.
Posted by patek_fleek, Mon Jan-26-15 02:05 PM
people giving "get at me dog" the title of the record that "brought the streets back" is inaccurate.

"4,3,2,1" was that record.

but winners (re)write history.
2918170, well at least you know you're a loser
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-26-15 02:07 PM
>but winners (re)write history.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

2918173, sorry you feel that way.
Posted by patek_fleek, Mon Jan-26-15 02:08 PM
my paycheck deposit this morning made me think otherwise.
2918175, very happy for you
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jan-26-15 02:13 PM
>my paycheck deposit this morning made me think otherwise.

go spend that money on some music you really like.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

2918172, Am I buggin or was "Get At Me Dog" out at the same time "4, 3, 2, 1" was
Posted by Chanson, Mon Jan-26-15 02:08 PM
I remember them both being out around late '97 (Oct-Nov), getting a lot of Flex play. "Get At Me Dog" didn't get a video until spring '98 though.

Or maybe just the freestyle was out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5gLYDMWXEk

At the very least the beat for "Get At Me Dog" was out because Puffy jacked it for Mase's album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8TygHCfDA

Same thing Puff did with Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz's "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)". It was out in late '97 and he jacked the beat for a LOX song (that didn't make the album but was released as a promo single). "Deja Vu (Uptown Baby)" didn't get a video until spring '98:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqYua1uFKE

"Get At Me Dog" had to be out in '97 because that helped with the DMX mania that was brewing. He had features on everything leading up to It's Dark & Hell Is Hot (Mase, LOX, Onyx, Cam'ron, Ice Cube, Eightball, LL, Jigga).
2918174, RE: Am I buggin or was "Get At Me Dog" out at the same time "4, 3, 2, 1" was
Posted by patek_fleek, Mon Jan-26-15 02:13 PM
the freestyle was out in like sept. 1997.

the record was defintely recorded in 1997 and may have dropped to the streets on a clue in very late 97....
but again, video and radio play that took it to the next level was spring 98.

and thank you for making that point about puffy and the hitmen jacking other producers samples...

firm biz
ditc's one day
epmd's richter scale
pharcyde's drop remix
de la's the bizness

these were all a coincidence, right?