Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat's dope about God's Son, at least in my eyes...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2908337&mesg_id=2908376
2908376, What's dope about God's Son, at least in my eyes...
Posted by Brew, Wed Nov-05-14 11:44 AM
>I do think if I was picking one, I would go with God's Son
>thought. There's something dope about that album. Hey Nas and
>I Can get the skip though lol

...was that, at least to my ears, that album was the most honest and open he'd been to that point in his career. I felt like the whole album had an authentic feel to it that we'd never really heard before from Nas. I'm a sucker for the honest stuff so that album holds a special place in his discography for me.

It definitely has its low points, like I Can... and that Bravehearts bullshit (I actually liked Hey Nas... for what it was) but overall I always really liked God's Son and rank it higher in his discog than most probably would.

As for Stillmatic, I love that album for different reasons, not the least of which being the anger and humor he displayed on that album and during that stage in his career. Nas ended up winning the war but Jay can always take credit for waking up the giant, and thank god he did. Nas was on a tear on Stillmatic. I don't rank it a 5 mic album like it got at the time due to some weak beats and a couple throwaway songs, but it was certainly a major step up from I Am and Nastradamous (sp).