Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe Combat Jack Show: John Forté Episode (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2901693
2901693, The Combat Jack Show: John Forté Episode (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Sep-16-14 02:33 PM
https://soundcloud.com/thecombatjackshow/the-john-forte-episode
2901723, RE: The Combat Jack Show: John Forté Episode (link)
Posted by antoniovaladez, Tue Sep-16-14 06:04 PM
These have been getting better and better. Kevin Gates was deep and dark, Ice T was a journey! And this one I can't wait to get to considering his history. What I love about Combat Jack is the depth of human intelligence and just exploration of ideas with these artists versus a "shoot the shit" convo.
2901725, RE: The Combat Jack Show: John Forté Episode (link)
Posted by boyd, Tue Sep-16-14 06:32 PM
>These have been getting better and better. Kevin Gates was
>deep and dark, Ice T was a journey! And this one I can't wait
>to get to considering his history. What I love about Combat
>Jack is the depth of human intelligence and just exploration
>of ideas with these artists versus a "shoot the shit" convo.
>

this but the episode with the house music

it brought me back to the days of the early
raves days. i was too young for paradise and
garage
2901877, I didn't care for the Kevin gates interview
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Thu Sep-18-14 06:44 AM
2901792, Stellar, stellar interview.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-17-14 11:09 AM
Outside of his verse on Cowboys, I wasn't the biggest fan of him, but this was a great interview. I wonder how these two got in contact with each other and it was interesting how hesitant he was in terms of promoting his jewelery line in the beginning. Tons of content in the interview to breakdown. Props to him in terms of being so open in terms of doing his bid.
2901876, Incredible
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Thu Sep-18-14 06:43 AM
2901882, Man I feel guilty about not copping Poly Sci now
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Thu Sep-18-14 07:52 AM
I think one more video would have done it. Something with Lauryn or the whole Fugees. I never heard the album, is she on it? I really liked Flash the Message but not knowing anything else about the album made me hesitant. Even with the discount from working at the record store. Come to think about it, what happened to the promo copy?
2901887, RE: Man I feel guilty about not copping Poly Sci now
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Sep-18-14 08:16 AM
>I think one more video would have done it. Something with
>Lauryn or the whole Fugees. I never heard the album, is she on
>it? I really liked Flash the Message but not knowing anything
>else about the album made me hesitant. Even with the discount
>from working at the record store. Come to think about it, what
>happened to the promo copy?

I didn't cop the album because I didn't like that 99 Luft Ballons song you mentioned, but he stated in the interview that he opted to go completely solo on the album and didn't use input from any of The Fugees. Brave on his part seeing how popular they were at the time, or at least I think Wyclef's single material was huge around the time Poly-Sci dropped if my memory is accurate. I was a bit surprised it was a complete dud because that single got a lot of airplay, at least I remember seeing the video a ton of times when cable music channels actually showed music videos.
2902155, The label f'd up
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Sat Sep-20-14 10:01 PM
I think they probably would have got over with at least another single. (Unless their wasn't another single). I think I would have copped it if there was a 2nd good video. This was back in the age of listening stations and borrowing CDs, you didn't just blindly buy albums without knowing what was on there. $15.99 or whatever for a wack album with 1 or 2 songs on it was not going to work.

Did anybody actually know who John Forte was back then? I did, but I think most people wouldn't have. They probably only recognized him by his face. Also, he'd probably have to be standing next to a member of the Fugees.
2901889, I,John is the only album worth hearing.
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Thu Sep-18-14 08:31 AM
2901899, I, John is his best piece of work.
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Sep-18-14 10:01 AM
Poly Sci has its moments. You can see that John is an ambitious producer on that record. Sometimes it works (Poly Sci, God Is Love God Is War) and sometimes it just doesn't (PBE). I loved this interview because people get to see the inner-workings of a man I call my brother. I was with him during those days when he was balling out and doing the DJ gigs not knowing that he was slanging those thangs on the side. With him when he was recording I, John and super worried about what he would face in prison. I'm glad he's out and is all about doing positive things.

I'm glad he's back to rapping the way he did in the past because he did have something, it just needed to be cultivated. As he is a producer himself I think he needs someone to help produce his vocals and get them as sharp as they can be.

2902164, I loved "PBE". "Hot" was the JOINT tho.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Sep-21-14 03:09 AM
"Play My Cards" from that StyleFREE EP should have been a huge pop hit, too.
All that needed was marketing.
2901900, It was cool
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Sep-18-14 10:14 AM
I only paid $8 for it because I worked at Wherehouse Music at the time. I always dug his raps. The production was a little too stripped down at times. These are the only tracks I could find on youtube.

Medina Passage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWkGWeMLdwQ

Poly Sci ft. Jeni Fujita https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9vOfQ7xXM

Flash the Message https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGmMnBrbg8
2901915, FUCK YEAH !!!
Posted by QBoogie, Thu Sep-18-14 11:36 AM
Poly Sci was dope and I copped it, still have the physical ... Fuck I think I even passed it around these parts a time or two.
2901934, RE: FUCK YEAH !!!
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Sep-18-14 12:10 PM
Definitely an album that stayed in rotation for me during 98
2901928, It's all F*cked Up Now is my favorite song
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Sep-18-14 11:58 AM
Dig it.
2901933, RE: It's all F*cked Up Now is my favorite song
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Sep-18-14 12:08 PM
Hell yeah! I couldn't find it on youtube. That's the first song I looked for.
2902156, RE: It was cool
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Sat Sep-20-14 10:42 PM
Ooh shit, the Flash The Message Remix (?) I forgot about this. This is so dope. I need to get this again. Was this on the album?
2902157, Wait is this ninety-nine? The B-side? n/m
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Sat Sep-20-14 11:19 PM
2902158, RE: Wait is this ninety-nine? The B-side? n/m
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sat Sep-20-14 11:25 PM
Nope. Def the A-Side. B-Side was Flash the Message. Both songs are on the album.
2902229, Thanks
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Sun Sep-21-14 09:02 PM
I bought the CD single, but not the album, and I never ripped the full single, just Flash the Message and the Instrumental.
2901907, Really good interview
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Sep-18-14 10:54 AM
Really felt the sections where talked about surviving in prison and how fucked up the prison system is in general.