Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRegarding contemporary jazz in Europe
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2898511
2898511, Regarding contemporary jazz in Europe
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 08:15 AM
Warning: This is not going to be that post about all the best bands doing the jazz thing out in Europe, cause I don't even know who they are and wouldn't actively seek them out. Jazz isn't dead it's just boring because of the lack of risk (obviously not everyone, and thank you but I don't need counterexamples).

But that is not the topic, the topic today really stems from this:
http://www.researchcatalogue.net/view/21732/21733

No, I'm not expecting you to read all of that, but start with the premise which the writer/composer has which is to take the traditional folk music of Austria and create jazz arrangements of it. In so doing he's trying to maintain a level of authenticity both to the traditions of Austrian folk music and to the traditions of Jazz. I'm 99% sure none of you know a thing about Austrian folk music, so the question is how does it sound to you as a reflection of Authentic Big Band Jazz? To listen that first image of the score is actually a video you can play (there are more than one pieces if you want to hear more).

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2898518, haven't listened to this yet BUT this
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Aug-26-14 08:51 AM
>to take the
>traditional folk music of Austria and create jazz arrangements
>of it.

was a thing for a bit in the '90s particularly with regard to the Balkan mini-revival and more particularly with the success of Ivo Papasov.

He's certainly not jazz but the jazz attitude is a huge part of his music, and the jazz market in the US/UK was certainly the secondary realm of success for him (following what was at the time still called the 'world' market).
2898525, In sweden, that started in the 50's...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Tue Aug-26-14 09:10 AM
...with Lars Gullin and artists like that making "fäbodsjazz" which wasn't really some fusion or "pop" but "pure" jazz with the tonal language inspired by local music. Actually, the most successful jazz-album of all time here is Jan Johansson's "Jazz på svenska" (1964) which is strictly stripped-down, piano/bass jazz covers of old swedish folk-tunes.

Basically, this concept isn't very contemporary even if I'm not sure how common it was all over europe back in the day.
2898527, interesting...
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Aug-26-14 09:15 AM

>Actually, the most successful jazz-album of all time here is
>Jan Johansson's "Jazz på svenska" (1964) which is strictly
>stripped-down, piano/bass jazz covers of old swedish
>folk-tunes.

sounds up my alley
2898534, yeah i didn't think it was a contemporary movement per se
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 09:25 AM
just noting that it is a recent project.

what struck me about this is the use of the word 'authenticity' and the question as to why its important, or for that matter at this stage why its important to associate it with jazz.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

2898553, This is probably the most patronizing post I've read
Posted by stattic, Tue Aug-26-14 11:27 AM

during my time here. Well done.
2898593, lol... reading it back... yea n/m
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Aug-26-14 03:37 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

2898597, listening to that first one, and dude, it's elevator music
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Aug-26-14 03:51 PM
there are some interesting interludes and whatnot, but in general it sounds like Big Band Jazz of the variety played by the house band on Name That Tune. I feel like I need a highball.

>so the question is how does
>it sound to you as a reflection of Authentic Big Band Jazz?
>To listen that first image of the score is actually a video
>you can play (there are more than one pieces if you want to
>hear more).