Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: uhhhh...U Know is at #100 on iTunes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2898239&mesg_id=2899908
2899908, RE: uhhhh...U Know is at #100 on iTunes
Posted by murph71, Wed Sep-03-14 04:09 PM
>that ain't saying much man
>especially considering the # is based on pre-sales of the
>album
>and the album pre-sale is at.....93!!!!!!!
>and 3EG is nowhere to be found on any chart
>maybe they're on the watchtower 100
>
>
>but the album pre-sale for the r&b charts is #5
>we all know r&b don't sell like it used to
>If that's WB cheer to boost his ego...that's a weak cheer.
>
>
>r&b iTunes don't mean jack to folks outside of the bubble
>either
>To most, if it ain't on no blazing hip-hop and r&b
>station....it ain't no hit!!!
>i'm sure it will get some play from today's classic soul and
>today's r&b station..it fits right in with their boring
>sleepy-time format.
>and he's been on those charts with the majority of his 00
>major releases sans 20Ten so he's still in the same bag.

If u were talking about just "Clouds" u would have a point about that sleepy time airplay...

But I can tell u this...When I'm on Twitter it's not the sleepy-time format listeners that are Tweeting about "U Know"...It's the kids who knows he's an icon but are not usually checking for him...They are now on some "Prince is back!!!"...lol (which is hilarious BTW)...

As for the industry talk, this is what I'm hearing from some folks in the know: Warner Bros. will not be only targeting "U Know" to the Tom Joyner type outlets. They r going to push him to the Power/Hot radio set as well...And they are going for those I Heart Radio stations as well...

All this to say...I've seen the usual polite reception Prince has been getting from these leaks over the last five years or so...He usually depends on social media bloggers to respectfully write on some "Prince the legend has a new song out.." shit...And it's usually the hardcore Prince fans that are on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram about Prince's latest song...

"U Know" however, seems to be doing something different....Warner Bros. (and Prince) is using the social media popularity of Mila J to make the connection that this is not your Father's Prince...

I think it's going to be interesting to see what this new album will do...But I think more interesting is how "U Know" is being received...The old heads are divided...But the social media kids seem to think Prince is making a return to form (again...the irony is priceless)...I think he's going to surprise a lot of people with this project in terms of public reception....

Oh...And u right...and nobody is really checking for that 3EG album....The Prince solo joint is getting all the buzz, even at a pre-sales clipe....

http://www.popvortex.com/music/charts/top-soul-songs.php (I'm talking about R&B songs, not that pre-sale album charts...Let's wait and see what it does on the overall Itunes charts given that it hasn't even been full serviced to outlets yet...)

And one thing to keep in mind. None of those songs have yet to be officially released to radio....I don't expect Prince to pull out a platinum record with this shit...But if his standing continues to rise on social media AND he gets some spin beyond the old school radio outlets, which he will with "U Know," that's all he needs given that his bag is touring...