Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: We gon disagree on contemporary R&B P...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2898239&mesg_id=2899607
2899607, RE: We gon disagree on contemporary R&B P...
Posted by murph71, Tue Sep-02-14 10:34 AM
>But you know he could use someone in his band that will say
>things like "dude this ain't the way"
>I like W&L not only because of their work with him but because
>they kept it 100 with him and they still keep it 100.
>I like Andre because of the same thing.
>He needs someone like that around.

I like W&L too....when they worked with Prince...Without him I have a few joints that I dug...But those solo songs are easily forgotten...

>*Shelving Dream Factory and the Revolution was personal and
>immature in my opinion.

Nah...it's Prince being Prince...Welcome to the world of the control freak....lol

As for this whole "contemporary R&B" jab...I think that's been waaaaaay overblown...

"Incense & Candles" was Prince trying to keep up with the youngins...That was him trying to go Contemporary R&B...And it sounded a bit forced...

But these two new songs sound like Prince listening to radio and saying, "I'm going to do something "now" but on my terms....

"Clouds" and "U Know" sounds like Prince doing Prince while inspired by what's going on....I find it quite cool that the man (or someone in his crew) thought Mila J's underground joint could be flipped into something fresh and a bit weird...

When u hear Prince singing over a backwards, space heavy track that's a nod to the weird Prince...Nothing groundbreaking...Nothing earth shattering or mind consuming...

Just a fun record without the "Jughead" stank....