Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI know it sounds like snobbery
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2893971&mesg_id=2894264
2894264, I know it sounds like snobbery
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Jul-29-14 04:56 AM
which again, was one of the reasons I was reluctant to say anything for fear of sounding like a snob.

I'm not downing anybody for whatever gateway introduced them to the music and I think "Water" is a great tune. It's just that for me, as someone who (kinda) grew up listening to Fela, I just never knew it to be one of the seminal tracks in his oeuvre and I still don't really hear Fela-heads even more hardcore than myself elevating it to that status.

I don't "cringe" at it like Jakob described, but it's interesting to me that *that* tune continues to be the one that converts newbies and continues to be the one that holds their interest above all else even after they've heard more of his stuff. So it makes me feel like they're experiencing the music on a different (but equally valid) level than I am... and I'm not sure that I completely understand what they're hearing so I find it hard to recommend other stuff they should check out.