Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThat song seems to be his ''Smoke on the water''...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2893971&mesg_id=2894208
2894208, That song seems to be his ''Smoke on the water''...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Mon Jul-28-14 06:54 PM
It's the song "everyone" knows but bring it up amongst hardcore fans and they kind of cringe, not because they consider the tune non-representative or bad but rather that it's the "token" song by the artist in question and when it comes to important acts with big catalogs-as opposed to one-hit wonder-the token song is sort of a problem, just like the token album...

I found this out the hard way in the 90's when this DJ dude who went in my little sisters class earlier brought up Fela and I mentioned that song like "Man, I LOVE it" and he just cringed. In my defense, that was the only song I had heard then (at least to the point of recognizing it as Fela) due to it being one of those songs they "always" played at a local acid-jazz/funk/70's club. Also, being dissed by a swedish hipster 90's dj into japanese noodle-bars, designer-chairs, web-design, a certain type of glasses (if you were there, you know) and "trip-hop"/Mo'wax as all those assholes were at the time is in retrospect nothing to feel bad about.

Anyway, I dig the song a lot but after hearing more of his records, not sure it's my favorite. My favorite album of his I've heard I think is "Shakara" which also includes the tune "Lady" but I like a lot of them...