Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNot that it's necessary but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2893504&mesg_id=2896064
2896064, Not that it's necessary but...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sun Aug-10-14 03:03 AM
EVery Andrew Hill mention gets a co-sign from me; seriously one of my favourite artists ever. In the context of 60's jazz-piano, I'd put him behind Cecil (duh!) and Herbie. Otherwise, I think he's the absolute top of the hill and as you said, totally unique style that you'll recognize within seconds that also happens to be dope as fuck...

I've been trying to spread the gospel on Andrew for ten years now and the great thing is that people are starting to catch on (and no, I don't think *I* have anything to do with that, just saying it so I don't appear pompous). Like, he's getting props and there are Mosaic selects with unreleased sessions and everything; this dude was a giant, too unique too really work as a "sideman" and since his own albums flopped and he was only signed to Blue Note based on the taste of the label, he became an obscure cult-artist. The cool thing is that it has been changing; I read somewhere that the CD reissue of "Point of departure" actually sold better than the original album did in 65 which says a lot... He's like Herbie Nichols, just one "generation" later with all that it implies...