Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectgreat Paris Concert is Student Studies (structures?), right?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2893504&mesg_id=2893815
2893815, great Paris Concert is Student Studies (structures?), right?
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Fri Jul-25-14 09:59 PM
If so, it's awesome, Cyrille is a beast and the ideal drummer for Cecil but the bassist Alan Silva? What a sick fuck! I even bought some of his solo-albums based on his work with Cecil: let's just say that "Seasons" (=a 2.5 hour/3 LP long free-jazz symphony with the most abrasive last 20 minute (well, there's a mellow encore; I'm referring to the main track) imaginable) is one hell of a trip; it's on BYG/Actuel; I onnly play it once a year or so but when I do, it's a fucking ritual!!! It has everything_beauty, chaos, sci-fi, you name it...

His other album on BYG, "Lunar Surface", is cool too but more of a "noise"-record due to the combination of lo-fi production values and a massive wall of dissonant strings (basses, violins, cellos etc.) playing the same minimalist sicko-drone throughout. Not a very "jazzy" record in spite of Shepp and others ripping solos somwhere in the mess but from an avantgarfe/noise-perspective, it's really cool but "Seasons" is his winner...